Storing for Fermentation in Smelly Basement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylanmorrow3

Reaction score
I would like to store the batch in our basement for fermentation but it smells like mildew and slightly like dog pee (We have a very old dog). We keep it clean but the smell is unavoidable.

Will the smell or air quality affect the batch, it is the only cool place in the house?

If so are there any recommendations on how I could mitigate the effects?

Yeah, should be ok during fermentation. I wouldnt open up the bucket. I wouldnt store down there too long if using a bucket either, the plastic is permeable. Im sure it would be fine but IMO anything long term should go elsewhere!

Personally I never had more problems brewing than in the basement in my last house, even with the best airlocks and the cleanest equipment. Cost thousands to solve moisture, mold and mildew problems, and in the end I finished with a clean-room quality brew room, after that I never had any other 'mystery' problems.

I also have an unfinished basement that has moisture and a funky smell. This is where I store all my fermenters and gear. I have not tasted or smelled any difference in my brew from the days of when I kept everything upstairs.

My basement has got the usual slight mildew smell and our cat box also adds an aroma from time to time. Brewed many batches without issue. I do run a dehumidifier and fan to control the ambient moisture to below mold growth levels. I think like most things, a clean perfect environment is better but you likely won't notice much using what you have available.

Closed system, fermenter with airlock..... no problems.

The smells are not going to magically jump into your beer. Opening up the bucket for a few minutes is not a problem. It is not going to make your beer smell bad. Think about it. You have five gallons of liquid and a minute or two of exposure to a bad smellis not going to cause any problems. A bucket in not permeable enough to have the smells get in.

I have the same concerns with a place I just moved into, but am slightly more worried since I'm long-aging some sour and lambic-style beers. Should I be worried about mold or some such developing over a long period of time?

Latest posts

Back