Floating globs of yeast cake?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janson745

Reaction score
So I tried my hand at a Bell's Two-Hearted Ale clone about 3 weeks ago. It was my first time using WL Califorina Ale liquid yeast, everything went smoothly on brew day - until I realized about 2 days into primary fermentation that I never did aerate as well as I usually do. I did stir in the ice pretty vigerously during cool down, but no pouring from bucket to bucket. After 3 weeks, I checked the gravity, and it finished out perfectly to recipe at 1.012. But there were a ton of globs of (what I believe to be) yeast floating at the surface and in the beer (all about the size of a gumball). The sample tasted pretty darn good. So, I decided to proceed with the recipe and dry-hop for 4 days, yesterday was bottling day.

When I began siphoning, everything was going well for the first gallon, then in the middle of gallon two, a huge glob of yeast cake floated up from the bottom - about 3"x5" and about 1" thick. I thought it was weird, but continued. About another gallon siphoned, and another chunk floated up. At this point, a lot of the trub is beginning mixed into the beer and I'm siphoning up a ton of junk along with the beer. So, instead of bottling yesterday, I opted for a cold crash - Stuck the bottling bucket in the fridge and will re-attempt bottling tonight.

Hopefully everything is normal, i am just looking for a little re-assurance while I RDWAHAHB. :tank:

Normal. Cold crashing was perfect thing to do. It'll help drop the yeast out and compact it on the bottom of the bucket. When you move the bucket to bottle, take care to not bang it or disturb the trub layer. You should be good to go in a day or so.

Back