Black IPA What do you y'all think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOHICA422

Reaction score
I want to try a Black IPA and I'm not use what to use. I put this together off a few clone recipes of Black IPA that I enjoy. Let me know what you think

Cheers
JP

2-Row Black Malt Briess 12.0 oz Steep
Caramel Malt 80L Briess 8.0 oz Steep
Victory® Malt Briess 8.0 oz Steep
CARAFA® II Weyermann® 8.0 oz Steep
Maris Otter LME 6.0 lb Boil
Maris Otter LME 3.25 lb Boil

Hops

Centennial United States 1.0 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 10.50%
Columbus United States 1.0 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 15.00%
Centennial United States 1.0 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 10.50%
Simcoe United States 1.0 oz 5 min Boil Pellet13.00%
Warrior United States 1.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 16.00%
Yeasts

NAME LAB ATTENUATION TEMP
California Ale Yeast WLP001 White Labs 76.50% 68°F – 73°F

IBU 74
OG 1.08
FG 1.019
ABV 8.00%

That's pretty close. For me, the black malt is over the top with astringency when I want to get it real dark. I use a de-bittered black like Briess Blackprinz it's like 550L and doesn't taste like burned coffee to me.
I also like mine to dry out to around 1.012, so I sub out a pound or so of LME/DME with dextrose.
I also use some Briess Midnight Wheat for color, flavor, and body.
Check out the "Darth Vader" thread.

Also, I haven't heard many good things about dry hopping with warrior. I would use it for the 60minute bittering (I actually use warrior for bittering all my IPAs) and use the centennial or simcoe for the dry hop.

Thanks, I think I will sub the black malt for Briess Blackprinz. And defiantly use the Warrior for the 60min and use the Simcoe for dry hopping.I just used Warrior for a IPA and had some left over so I thought I could fit it in somewhere. I'm going to the LHBS today, thanks for the help. I'll repost when I brew.

Cheer

The recipe turned into a Dark IPA, and it turned out fantastic. It has great citrus notes, and finishes with a nice bitter taste. Just what I wanted. ABV finished at 6.6% Thanks for all the input

"One Eyed Willy" IDA
Caramel Malt 80L Briess 8.0 oz
Victory® Malt Briess 8.0 oz
Maris Otter LME 6.6 lb
Golden Light DME Briess 1.0 lb
Hops

NAME AMOUNT TIME
Warrior 1.0 oz 60 min
Columbus 1.0 oz 30 min
Centennial 1.0 oz 15 min
Columbus 1.0 oz 5 min
Simcoe 1.0 oz 7 days