First time bottling my beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Wes

Reaction score
Wish me luck fellas! I am bottling my 1 gallon batch of Imperial Russian Stout and my 1 gallon batch of my hoppy Red Ale! Should be drinking in 2 weeks!!!

The stout may take longer than 2 weeks so don't be disappointed if it doesn't meet expectations early. Time for you to start another batch. Enjoy!

Update: only bottled the IRS tonight (will do the red ale tomorrow) created some air in the tube during the auto siphon portion, stirred in the sugar solution after I put the beer in the bottling bucket, the valve was open on the bottling bucket during the siphon but closed it once I saw the leak, wasn't sure if I had enough beer for a 9th bottle so I poured the rest in a glass and noticed I had enough so I put it back in the bucket then in a bottle, we shall see how it turns out!

I'll be quite surprised if the stout is ready in two weeks. Three weeks @ 70 degrees is the baseline for typical beers. Higher gravities and cooler temps can take longer.

I just opened the first of my Belgian golden strongs tonight. They've been in bottles for 4 weeks now @ 70-72 degrees. Got a nice "pffft", but only a very thin layer of head that faded almost immediately. Very little residual carbonation. Of course, it's an 8.5% ABV beer, so I'm not too surprised. I'll leave it alone for another 2-4 weeks before I try another.

On the plus side, bulk aging was obviously good to me (nine weeks primary, two weeks secondary); the beer iddn't have any green flavors at all. Wonderful pear esters, great dry finsih. A little sweeter up front than I expected, but since it's still pretty flat, I'm betting that can be attributed to priming sugar.

OP - that stout style is one that really benefits from some nice aging. Try to set at least a few back for several months, and see if they aren't the best in the batch.

Back