Inoculation Rate VS Pitching Rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarcrarc

Air Garcia
Reaction score
Could somone provide me with a clear distinction between the two terms "inoculation rate" and "pitching rate"? I have researched but cannot find a distinguished difference. In the past I have used Yeast Calc in order to determine how big of a starter I needed in order to provide enough yeast cells for a high gravity beer. However, as I was preparing for my next starter for a 1.092 brew I noticed how the inoculation rate got smaller than the suggested 25-100 raqte when I make larger the starter volume of wort. Therefore I am doing a stepped starter but I still would like clarification on the difference.

Almost a year later and no takers? I'll take a stab at it and assume that stepping up a starter increases cell counts but maybe you want to have the growth happen at a rate that is deemed healthy to avoid lots of petite mutants or maybe some other kinds of negative effects?

The inoculation rate is essentially the pitching rate of the starter, and you want optimal inoculation rates for maximum growth.

Back