First AG = 70% efficiency, thanks HBT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kopper

Reaction score
Brewed the 5g recipe for BierMunchers Centennial Blonde for my first all-grain brew today and ended up with 70% efficiency which I will gladly accept. Once again, this fabulous forum guides me down the right path. The wealth of knowledge shared here never ceases to amaze me. Can't wait to give it a taste in a few weeks.

Thanks again HBT and all the contributing members!
:tank:

70% is good. Way to go. The thing you want to try for is to get consistent efficiency. Does not really matter what that number is, just be the same every time and you are good. I would rather constantly hit 70% every time than be all over the map with my efficiency.

Mine is at 74% almost every time so I am good woth good.

Good advice beergolf. I was happy with my process and how smooth it won't so I will stick with it and monitor my consistency.

Your efficiency will go down with high-ABV beers, and up with low ones. Change your grain bill accordingly to keep the same efficiency.

I assume beersmith will help with that? (I'm still learning it)

I assume beersmith will help with that? (I'm still learning it)

Nope. In Beersmith, you enter your efficiency manually. If you enter the right numbers, it will calculate the efficiency you got, but when you are entering a new beer you need to also type in your efficiency. By default it uses the last one you entered.

To get your calculated efficiency, make sure you enter the measured volume (Batch Size) and gravity (OG).

Back