Cherry Limeade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve707

Reaction score
I'm looking for a recipe to make cherry limeade and carbonate it with priming sugar and put it into beer bottles for this summer. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, I have two 6 gallon demi's empty right now. The wife LOVES the stuff they make at Sonic and I'm looking for something along those lines. Thanks in advance. BY the way, I searched the recipes on here and didn't find anything along those lines.:drunk:

No help here, but I've had the same thought, to make some Cherry Limeade wine.

My theory is to make a batch of skeeter pee using Nellie and Joe's Key Lime juice (there's a key-lime/margarita wine recipe somewhere here in the wine forum), omit the sorbate, and back-sweeten with cherry limeade syrup I saw at a Sam's Club store. Maybe add triple sec syrup to taste, just for grins.

Bottle up and pasteurize (per the cider sticky) after I have the carbonation I want.

I do not think Sonic’s Cherry Limeade is going to be possible to bottle.
Mainly because it uses fresh limes as a main part of the flavoring and you would lose that freshness if it was bottled.

You could make your own Lemon-Lime soda pop though I suppose.

My niece and her friends are Sonic Cherry Limeade fiends ... apparently lot of people are absolutely addicted to the stuff.
I’ve never had a Cherry Limeade nor do I go to Sonic anymore after having horrible, surly service and bad food three straight times a couple years ago.

So that I can duplicate the recipe for when she stops by with the family, I’ll take a stab at the recipe.

A quick poke around the Internet found a number of differing ingredients, though there were some tips and comments from Sonic employees and so I’ve cobbled together a best guess for ...
Sonic’s Cherry Limeade.

Sprite
First, Sonic uses Sprite pop as the base. However I have read that at least some franchisees (possibly on the direction of corporate?) specifically dial up their pop machine to put a bit more syrup into their soda pop than normal ... how much more I don’t know, but if I had to guess I’d say that Cherry Limeade is made with Sprite that is a bit sweeter and stronger than normal sprite from the grocery store. This would also accommodate all the ice they put in without too much flavor loss.

Might it be possible to reduce sprite soda-pop in a pot on the stove down to something a bit more syrupy without changing the flavor? (and then add it back to fully carbonated "fresh" sprite) ... would it be worth it? ... IDK. Anyhow, Sprite.

Fresh Lime
Fresh lime is squeezed into the drink ... from an ex Sonic employee description of how to make Sonic’s Limeade (straight Limeade) here’s how ... I would assume that this is also the method used in the Cherry Limeades as well.
“... The limes are cut into four slices. ... The small has one slice the medium 2, large 3, the Route 44 has four slices. Squeeze the slice into the sprite and then put the slice into the drink. I think the ice does help the drink because it's so snowcone like and keeps it so nice and cold in that styrofoam cup. “

So this is quite a bit of lime.
She also notes that the crushed ice plays a part too.

Cherry Syrup
From an employee ... “sonic uses cherry syrup though, not juice. It was 2 pumps from a jar.. if I had to guess it was about 2 TBSP.”
I’ve also read it as “2 ounces” to a 20 ounce drink elsewhere.

What Cherry syrup to use is where the recipe gets dicey ... I’ve seen this ingredient specified variously as Cherry Syrup, Grenadine, Maraschino Cherry Syrup, cherry snow-cone syrup, cherry juice, and some sort of Minute-maid product.

Sorting out the possibilities ...

Real grenadine is actually pomegranate ... though some versions are made with blackcurrant ... and the popular Rose’s brand IS specifically pomegranate and only pomegranate ... I called Mott’s and asked ... (nothing exceeds like excess, eh?).
If, if IF Sonic is actually using grenadine then the only thing cherry about this Cherry Limeade is the whole-maraschino-cherry garnish they drop in. But if the taste is spot-on for one made with grenadine ... then so be it. Like I say, I’ve never had a Cherry Limeade.

Maraschino Syrup of course has cherries in it so that is “cherry” ... ah, kinda ...
Sonic does use the whole cherries in the making of the Sonic drink, however as a 20oz Sonic Cherry Limeade drink is said to use “2 ounces of syrup” ... they could never keep up with that amount of use if they were just getting it from their jars of cherries.
Further, the FDA’s standard of identity for Maraschino Cherries is specified as: "cherries which have been dyed red, impregnated with sugar and packed in a sugar syrup flavored with oil of bitter almonds or a similar flavor". A distinct flavor I’d think.
And as to their manufacture ... “In their modern form, the cherries are first preserved in a brine solution usually containing sulfur dioxide and calcium chloride to bleach the fruit, then soaked in a suspension of food coloring (common red food dye, FD&C Red 40), sugar syrup, and other components.”
I suppose it’s possible that they’re using Maraschino syrup, but I find that somewhat hard to swallow.

This leaves real cherry syrup or something like pop syrup or snow-cone syrup.

Real Cherry Syrup would be my best guess. I’d be surprised if at the tasting lab for Sonic they went with anything that gave less “cherry” flavor. Furthermore, one ex employee suggested it was Minute Maid Cherry Syrup which would make sense because both Sprite and Minute Maid are Coca-Cola Company brands ... although there is no consumer product that is cherry syrup from Minute Maid that I could find online.
I’m going to give Sonic the benefit of the doubt and say that they are using cherry syrup made, somewhere along the way, from real cherries.

People have reported tasty results from all, including using cherry juice. Some have had good results from grenadine with maraschino cherry syrup added.

A taste test would be the way to actually figure the cherry question out.

For the final recipe ...

Sprite ...... if possible with about 10% reduced by heating and added back ... OR with a bit of extra pop-syrup if you can get it OR with just a bit more sugar and a small dash of lemon added (as Sprite is lemon/lime soda).
Real Cherry Syrup
Limes
Crushed Ice ... store bought if possible to avoid freezer odors in the ice if possible.
A maraschino cherry.

images

WOW Jacob Marley I REALLY Appreciate all the work you put into that description, but, I was sort of hoping for a alcohol version of cherry limeade. I may just try yooper's lemonade recipe. Thanks everyone.:D

No help here, but I've had the same thought, to make some Cherry Limeade wine.

My theory is to make a batch of skeeter pee using Nellie and Joe's Key Lime juice (there's a key-lime/margarita wine recipe somewhere here in the wine forum), omit the sorbate, and back-sweeten with cherry limeade syrup I saw at a Sam's Club store. Maybe add triple sec syrup to taste, just for grins.

Bottle up and pasteurize (per the cider sticky) after I have the carbonation I want.

You could use my hard lemonade recipe, and just use limeade or whatever flavor instead of cans of lemonade.

You guys are so silly! I don't think he was looking to make a (significantly) alcoholic version. ;)

Latest posts

Back