I have just made a recipe....can you guys tell me what you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
SMaSH BEER:
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safale S0-4
Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
(Est.) Original Gravity: 1.041
Efficiency: NEED TO RECALCULATE THIS
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 43.9
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21
Tasting Notes: This beer hasn\'t been brewed yet. (UPDATES ARE COMING...ASAP)

Ingredients

8.00 lb UK Maris Otter (2 Row) UK ( Grain 100 %)*

1.5 oz Fuggles [4.3 %] (60 min) Hops 27.5 IBU*
1 oz Fuggles [4.3 %] (25 min) Hops 12.7 IBU*
1 oz Fuggles [4.3 %] (5 min) Hops 27.5 IBU*

1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale Yeast S-04*

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.041 SG
Measured Original Gravity: WELL, FIRST I HAVE TO BREW IT
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: PENDING SG*
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.1 % +1% (AFTER BOTTLE CONDITIONING) *
Bitterness: 43.9 IBU *
Est Color: 5 SRM Color: PENDING*

COMMENTS: people....this is my 1st ever recipe....many gaps are filled with the word "PENDING" because I havent brewed this yet. All the data is estimated up here....so I hope it wont get deleted....I'll update it ASAP.
I'd like to know what people think of this. I am trying to achieve a nice light, slightly hoppy beer.....but nothing way too bitter....but something that is rather on the fruity, aromatic side.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks. Oh....and does anyone know how to calculate the strike water temperature (I will use a cooler and it has to sit in it for 60 mins...and I dont know how to start calculating the strike temperature for that)? I also have problems calculating how much water I need for the mash-tun and the sparging....any ideas on that one?

Thanks for all the info/comments.

Sounds like a nice SMASH English Pale Ale. I would add a character malt such as Special Roast or Biscuit, just to add a little more malt character to stand up to the 44IBUs.

Sounds like a nice SMASH English Pale Ale. I would add a character malt such as Special Roast or Biscuit, just to add a little more malt character to stand up to the 44IBUs.

Indeed....a SMaSH is what I am aiming at. Do you think the 43.9 IBU will be nice? I decided to go for that...because one of my favorite IPA has 44 IBU too. :)

Looks tasty to me. SMaSH beers are really fun and tasty - I think you'll be surprised how complex the flavor will be after its properly conditioned. Enjoy.

NO way in heck you'll get 1.054 out of 8 pound of maris otter malt. Obviously something is wrong in your efficiency settings. You should get more like 1.038.

Add more grain- use at least 10 pounds of grain for a 5 gallon batch until you totally know your system.

NO way in heck you'll get 1.054 out of 8 pound of maris otter malt. Obviously something is wrong in your efficiency settings. You should get more like 1.038.

Add more grain- use at least 10 pounds of grain for a 5 gallon batch until you totally know your system.

I need to recalculate the efficiency then. I'll keep this post updated. Thanks.

I could be wrong but with a beer OG around 1.040 I don't think your going to need 3weeks in primary then another 3 in secondary. I'd just primary for 2-3 weeks. 2(if dry hopping) then dry hop in secondary 1 week. Otherwise I'd just do 3 primary and bottle/keg then.

Back