My first All Grain attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evolcoms

Reaction score
So I did my first AG this past Sun and I'm not sure if I did well. My SG was 1.050, but I'm concerned I didnt get enough fermentable sugars. The reason is because I noticed active fermentation during the first 48 hours, but after that it has died down allot. Should I be worried? I also did not do a yeast starter this batch as I was anxious to brew. I know there are allot of threads regarding peoples first AG attempts, but I wanted to share my progress and hear what others think.

I say RDWHAHB. There could be all kinds of reasons you are seeing what you are seeing. The only way to know is to take a gravity reading, but it's still way too soon. My vote is just just relax, everything is likely fine.

If you hit your mash temps, all else being equal, you should be fine.

Your SG measures the dissolved sugars, so you certainly will make beer.

From my small amount of exp, beer goes fast for a day or two, then goes into ninja fermentation mode.

Sneaky. Quiet.

It will be fine.
Assume that SG reading is accurate, then you have plenty of fermentables with a reading of 1.050 (what kind of beer?)

Carboy or bucket?

I have the same thing happen occasionally with a bucket and I always figured it was because the lid gets pushed up by pressure and starts to leak.

RDWHAHB.

To tell the truth I am not sure what my mash temp should have been, but after reading allot of threads regarding AG I noticed the temps to be in are around 152-150. The recipe was for a witbier and I am using glass carboys. I am going to let it sit for a total of 2 weeks and then bottle. I made the same recipe with extract and it turned out great. Fermentation was more active when I did the extract version of this recipe.

It sounds like you're already doing better than my first all grain batch. I missed my temps, jammed up my sparge (I put the grain in, then the water, so my false bottom was completely plugged), and fell short of my target gravity by over 20 points. You're doing fine. Just be sure to take measurements of everything so that you can adjust your process to your equipment's quirks.

Thanks Beertroll. I have read many threads and watched allot of videos on youtube. I also watched a few of John Palmers videos and read his "How to brew". I think I only did 8 batches of partial extract. I need to do a FG reading tonight or in the morning. I work Tues-Sat so I might not get to it tonight.

Its prob done or close to done fermenting after those 48 hours. Needs time to finish up and condition but I recently did a ipa and that bad boy went nuts for like 30 hours then absolutely nothing. Had me a little nervous even but have no fear.

I dunno about being done fermenting in 48 hours. I had extracts go for a few weeks.

"Go for a few weeks" or bubbling at the air lock for a few weeks? Bubbling at the air lock much much later can be due to temp changes. I've had batches sit in primary for 3 weeks and bubble nothing after 3 days. Transferred to secondary and they kept on bubbling even after FG was steady for days and days and days. All due to temp changes/pressure changes. If you are, don't go by what your air lock is saying. take those hydro readings and let that be your deciding factor. Hell, I have and I bet most have bottled/kegged while the airlock is showing movement/bubbling.

Gotta take those hydro readings. It's the only way to KNOW it's done.

I took a reading yesterday and I'm at 1.018. I want to be around 1.015 so ill check again in a few days.

Back