How to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcamham

Reaction score
I have an IPA in primary for another week, then dryhop. I was wondering how to keg it when its done. Do you just rack it into the keg and pump co2? And how long does it have to carbonate before you drink it?

I found a good youtube video on how to keg.... I couldn't find it but i didn't look that hard either. There is tons of useful information on youtube.

I learned how to brew, keg, and bottle all from youtube.

Check it out! I find the video helps in areas that this forum cant, and vice versa.

Some recommend either set and forget, which takes a good week at least, or crank and shake, which is too uncontrollable for my taste. My method is:

Day 1, keg room-temp, flat beer. Stick in fridge, hook up to CO2 at desired pressure. Bleed off pressure a few times to purge headspace of oxygen.
Day 2, keg is now full of cold, still almost entirely flat beer. Cold is key - it will absorb tons more CO2 when cold, which is why I wait until day 2. That night, I crank the CO2 up to 2.5 times the desired pressure - so if I want 10PSI serving pressure, I'll crank it to 25PSI. (Note that this may not be a good idea with high-pressure beers like Hefe - use common sense)
Day 3, first thing in the morning, I bring it back down to desired pressure. It's pretty close to perfectly carbonated at this point, so if you let it sit until day 4 (to avoid excess foaming) you'll be able to serve it right away. However, the next few days will make it better and better as it reaches perfect equilibrium.

After day 3 we want it just slightly below the target carbonation, so it can coast up to the right level slowly without overshooting it.

At first, I did 3X desired pressure, but I kept coming back to a higher-than-set pressure due to CO2 coming out of solution in the beer - so clearly that's too much for me, as it was over-carbed. Note that my batches are 2.5 gallons, and I believe the massive amount of headspace leads to faster carbonation. You may have to leave it longer with a full keg, or use a higher pressure multiplier. After 2-3 batches, you'll have it dialed in perfectly.

For my system with 10ft lines, keg them and chill them to 40 degrees. After they reach 40 degrees, turn the gas on to 30 psi x 36 hours. Then turn down to 12 psi and you're good to go the next day. Recently had to employ the roll and shake method for a wedding the next day and it came out fine as well....

Latest posts

Back