HELP!!! Keg won't stay sealed!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skepace

Reaction score
So I have a keg I was carbonating last night. Let it sit while I was at work and came home to a huge mess!!

My lid won't seal properly. Any ideas?? Already changed out the o-ring, used lubricant. I don't know what to do.

day_trippr said:
Place a coin under both of the bail feet as you lock down the lid. And buy some keg lube...

Cheers!

I will try the coin deal. Already have the lube and used it.

Tried the coin thing. Still bubbles from the lid. Could it be the keg?

Possibly. Can you feel any nicks or dings where the o-ring seats on either the keg or the lid? Have you tried flipping the lid around so that the PRV is on the other side? Sometimes that can be finicky and only seat properly in one particular orientation.

Are the plastic tips missing from the lid clamp feet? If so, you'll need more than one coin. You can also use some pliers and a set of vice grips to bend the feet back straight instead of using coins.

You can buy an oversized softer silicone o-ring, that may help. But you shouldn't have any beer bubbling out of the lid, it should just be gas. Did you overfill the keg? Or are you referring to your leak detector bubbling? I figured you meant beer since you came home to a mess.

Any obvious dings or dents in the lid or keg? Any obvious Knicks in the o ring?

Use more lube than you think. Lube the oring, inside area of the keg where it touches the oring, and also the lid where the oring sits.

Are you hitting the keg with high psi when you seal it? Was/ has the keg held pressure before?

I received some used kegs where the lids were dented in the middle causing the lip to rise up, they seal very well.

Hit the keg with 30psi. It should get it to seat. Then bleed down to your serving psi.

+1 on what most have already mentioned. Lids can be finicky. Another thing to watch out for is grit. I've gotten some grit on an o-ring before and drained a tank. Always make sure to wipe off the o-ring, lid, and mouth of the keg and then regrease.

I had the same problem. After closer inspection my lid was slightly warped. If you have more than one keg try to get a seal on it with the problem lid so you know if it's the keg or the lid. A replacement lid was about $15 if I remember correctly.

Also, it was recommened to me on this forum to hit it with 30 psi to get it to seal. I tried that and had a beer volcano erupt in the kegerator. The second time I tried it, it worked. Just be careful...have a towel to hold over the lid when you're going to pressurize. Good luck.

Thanks for the help! I switched the lid around and used a quarter for each leg. It worked!

Latest posts

Back