Airlock / blow-off Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbhooptie

Reaction score
So I am still relatively new to homebrewing (about 8 kits deep). Brewed extract batch on Friday night. Been busy and havent had a chance to check on it til today (Tuesday - 4 days later). The airlock has sediment and the water is brown... the top is sticky... obviously I should have used a blow-off tube and definitely will in the future.

Now my real dilemma. I was going to take the airlock out, clean and sanitize it, then replace. BUT, it seems to be stuck... after sometime tugging I began getting worried about the black rubber "collar" that shapes the whole on the lid that the airlock fits into was beginning to pull out also. I dont have an extra lid (which I now realize I should get). I pressed on the lid and air was still releasing through the airlock as it should. Should I simply leave it and try and pull it out when all is said and done or will my beer take chance of infection? I wouldnt think so b/c the airlock is still doing what it is supposed to be doing... ideas or thoughts?

I would leave it. But if you can't, put some starsan in a spray bottle and lube the airlock near the hole in the bucket lid. it might allow you to wiggle it free.

I would probably just leave it there until you got a backup airlock/bung in case you tear or break it. You can also try sucking out the ounce or so of 'dirty' water and replace with fresh, or even better some cheap vodka. If your bung is that tight you might want to lube it with some food grade gasket lube to make it easier to get out, or get a smaller one. I think this conversation just took a turn for the worse!:D

I sucked out as much "dirty" water as I could. Replaced with starsan / water. Will let you know.

as for the lubed bungs and such... shouldnt you buy me a beer first, at least? I am fragile...

Back