I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm here!

Lots going to keep me away lately. Our dept got taken over by HR ?????!!!!

HR has a no cell phone policy. Great. Now what am I supposed to do all night? Been cranking through books.

I just finished my write up for my latest rice wine experiment.

ryr1-1.jpg

Hey Dan, made any more cheese lately? I've got some colby that should be ready around the 6th of May.

Hey Dan, made any more cheese lately? I've got some colby that should be ready around the 6th of May.

Haven't made any in a month or so. Have about 5 pounds of traditional cheddar and a 2lb round of farmhouse cheddar with some spices in it aging. Having a slight problem with mold on the outside of the wax. Probably need to be more aggressive with the maintenance of the cheese.

Hey everybody! Thank you for the welcome back and kind words. I've been reading back through this thread a bit and am a little in awe, strike that, I'm in awe! What I see here are a bunch of great people who may not have ever met in person (for the most part) but share good friendship, good times and camaraderie. Super happy to be a part of this amazing group of people. Cheers! If I keep typing I might start getting way to sappy.

So here's another Cheers and a round of beers
To all the wonderful friends who post heres (Emjay, it rhymed with beers :D)

Funny how all the things that people struggle with when meeting in real life seem to disappear in this forum. I am a mod in another forum and am forever dealing with racism and religious garbage all the time. It is dang nice to come here and relax.

No relaxing for me today though. Heck no relaxing for the entire summer I think. I am starting to cut the tree up that flattened the house I pretty much grew up in and killed my surrogate dad.

I have been blessed to have had 2 friends that I grew up with. We kind of drifted apart but over the last ten years have started hanging out again. One of those friends I pretty much lived with and his dad kind of took care of me and treated me as a son.

Two years ago we had a freak wind storm that blew down a couple of huge trees. Sadly one of the trees landed on the house I grew up in killing the guy who raised me. We had the folks who helped us put the wood out in the pasture to dry and then we are going to cut it up and donate it to families that need it. And we are starting it today :mug:

This tree is absolutely huge that we are going to be working on. Big enough that they brought a 50 ton crane out thinking they could move it with that and had to get a 100 ton crane and tandem lift with the 50 tonner to get bits of the tree out.

Any how we are starting the work today and I am kind of thinking it is going to be a month of Sundays to get it cleared up.

You know the night before the tree fell Kevin and I were sitting out back looking at our wood pile drinking a beer. His Dad who was the gentleman who died came over to collect the beer cans we had been tossing on the ground while we were working out there. The last thing he ever said to me was " Boy you boys sure drink a lot of beer" I am 50 and he still called me a boy LOL

We were in the shade of the trees that fell that last night and I mentioned to Kevin my friend that we should take those trees down because someday they would cause a problem. Who knew that they would fall that night. Kind of sad that the trees fell. They were planted when the farm was homesteaded by Kevins ancestors. And the house they fell on was the old homestead house. Lots of history died that night :mad:

Alot of the wood is to big for me to saw with my 36" chainsaw so the biggest stuff we are going to pile up and have a bonfire for the family. I am looking forward to that night but I think it will be much later in the summer after we get the rest of the wood gone

Ok you makers of mead I have a need hehe

I made it I think two weeks ago and stuffed it into a cabinet and promptly forgot about it. Today I took a look and it is still bubbling away. I am not worried so much but wondering if at some point I should cap the milk jug I put it in. I got the ever wonderful plastic baggie vapor lock going on and since it really is not much of a vapor lock do I need to worry once it slows down

Ok you makers of mead I have a need hehe

I made it I think two weeks ago and stuffed it into a cabinet and promptly forgot about it. Today I took a look and it is still bubbling away. I am not worried so much but wondering if at some point I should cap the milk jug I put it in. I got the ever wonderful plastic baggie vapor lock going on and since it really is not much of a vapor lock do I need to worry once it slows down

I would move from the plastic baggie to a rubber balloon :). For serial.

Sad tragedy, v-man, but those families will appreciate the wood and the warmth it brings.

I like to steal the nice balloons from grocery stores. Where they have the helium birthday balloons, they will leave the rubber balloons unlocked, and you can reach in and snag one or 2. Wait until no one is around, then if they catch you just say you couldn't find anyone to fill them up so wandered away still carrying the balloons, nevermind, don't have time for it now. Good quality rubber balloons make good airlocks. But if someone is around, you can just ask for one or 2 and they will let you have them, usually.

I thought my glasses were crooked, they always look crooked, but got them straightened out by the eye people and then realized that I think my ears are crooked.

I don't really steal balloons, well, one time I did but it wasn't really on purpose. Those nice rubber balloons they got are way better then the ones in baggies for $1.99. Just be sure to clean and sanitize them well, poke some little holes in the end with a small needle. Once I made a batch of beer using a balloon that wasn't cleaned well and it tasted like baby butt. Nasty, baby powdery flavor that only got worse and worse with time.

Varmintman said:
Done...Well as soon as i find a balloon.

Just don't do what Creamy does and put a bacon flavored condom on it.. Unless you want bacon mead, in which case there's more civilized ways to do it.

...Alot of the wood is to big for me to saw with my 36" chainsaw so the biggest stuff we are going to pile up and have a bonfire for the family. I am looking forward to that night but I think it will be much later in the summer after we get the rest of the wood gone
Can't you notch it in? I mean cut a wedge out of each side, then cut the thinned center section. And/or make a cut from each side. It is more work, but should be doable.

I am a mod in another forum and am forever dealing with racism and religious garbage all the time.

Idaho chainsaw forum? I can imagine the white supremacist heathens from the panhandle not much liking the Mexi-Mormons down south. :D

Sigh, I miss it there.

Not that this is even in Idaho, it's in Washington but here's me in another life.

009.JPG

Oh yes, notch it.

I asked hubby how was dinner and he started to say "it was all-rye..." he was going to say "alright" but then he caught the look in my eye and changed it mid-sentence, said it was very good.

I'm not playing around this Friday eve, this mama is a little pissed off. When I say eat, you say "how much?". Running out of patience here. But, I'll have another beer now that I can relax. Reminds me of times people tried to make me eat, can't go overboard but gotta put your foot down sometimes. I will starve him 3 days, then ask again "how was dinner?" if he gives me the wrong answer.

Leadgolem said:
Hey, I was the one who posted that picture not creamy.

Right but did you notice the uncomfortable silence from Kreemy when you posted it? He buys those at Costco, and puts them right into the must or so I've heard.

Running out of patience here..

Actually your not.

Your doing the exactly right thing talking about your feelings to one group that will not judge and will hold up a beer to you and the hubby (that is what we call him by the way) and silently wish we had an ounce of the strength and fortitude you two are showing in the face of this event.

Don't worry, we've got your back.

talking about your feelings to one group that will not judge

I think sometimes, what did I say, did I really say that? Sometimes I get mad and say things I don't really mean. But, at the time I was so pissed, so maybe I did mean it. How I felt at the time, doesn't mean that's how I feel today. Family has been a big help and I should cut them some slack. My friends have been incredible, the folks on this site have been incredible. I tried to join those cancer online support groups but didn't feel like I fit in there. Always talking about depressing stuff. Geez, I get that enough in real life. And I don't think the chicken people really care about their chickens as much as they should. Oh, I love my chickens, they say, then they treat them like crap. My chickens have a sand box to play in, they love it. And I let them out to run around in the sunshine and they never go far. My dog even loves the chickens now. He is becoming very protective.

I think sometimes, what did I say, did I really say that? Sometimes I get mad and say things I don't really mean. But, at the time I was so pissed, so maybe I did mean it. How I felt at the time, doesn't mean that's how I feel today...
Everybody does that sometimes. It's ok BL, you're allowed.

I agree with Leadgolmen 110%.

BobbiLynn, you and your hubby are facing very scary times, taking them on head on, face to face, day by day. We are all pulling for you, I know that saying that doesn't take more than a few keystrokes but you know by now this thread and those of us here hope and pray you and your hubby get through these difficult days. I know you are a tower of strength but nobody is a fortress. We're with you Sis.

I really appreciate these late night talks. But please don't be feeling sorry for me anyone, tons of people have been through the same thing hubby and I are going through. They are just quieter about it and maybe don't complain so much. Time to head back to my own little world, mixing gray paint with white highlights to try and make silver fish on my walls. I'll show the mural when it's finished. Been working on it over a year now.

I really appreciate these late night talks. But please don't be feeling sorry for me anyone, tons of people have been through the same thing hubby and I are going through. They are just quieter about it and maybe don't complain so much. Time to head back to my own little world, mixing gray paint with white highlights to try and make silver fish on my walls. I'll show the mural when it's finished. Been working on it over a year now.

Wao, or however it is spelled.. I'll just say STOP! Yes many people have been through what you guys are going through but that does not make it any easier for you and your husband. Some people are super quiet and even try to hide from it. I'm familiar with that situation and in the end it didn't help anybody. Please do not head back into your own little world and take this on alone. There is no weakness in needing help so don't you go crawling under the covers now.

I think it's spelled Whoa! On one hand, I am completely alone in this, the only one who knows what is going on behind the scenes. On the other hand, many people have felt the same way I feel at times. When I try to escape, I'm not really trying to shut the world out, but sometimes bring it closer so I can understand better. A door closes and a different one opens.

That's enough deep thoughts for tonight. Going to bottle more of my hoppy IPA, it's clear enough to read a newspaper through, ready to bottle and I don't need a hydrometer to tell me that.

Some of my not so close neighbors, but people who live in the same county as me, said they saw bigfoot. They were on TV on that finding BigFoot show. I always say, just call them Bigfeet, because I doubt they are like hermit crabs, one big foot.

Our county is called "Wakulla county", but people make fun of us and say it's "We'll Kill 'Ya County". I guess because a lot of hunters around here, folks like their guns. Not sure where that nickname came from, but I have a good guess. Not so good history going back to the civil war.

Interesting, I was sipping on some of my overly sweet concord wine. I still have it in the bottling bucket. I don't really see the point in going through the effort of bottling something I won't really enjoy later. It didn't taste quite so sweet, stronger too. So I took another gravity reading off it. It's down to 1.062 from an OG of 1.160. That's not as bad. Still overly sweet, but I don't have to mix it to drink it now. I thought it had petered out at 1.072. That was about a month ago. That makes it 13.1% ABV.

I wonder if it will continue to drop if I leave it even longer? Worth a try, it's still to sweet to drink much of. If I can get it down around 1.040 I'll bottle and pasteurize, though I don't think that's all that likely.

Looking forward to a nice brew day tomorrow. Never tried making wine but might give it a go one of these days. Tomorrow is yard work, maybe some garage spring cleaning but for sure late in the afternoon a peaceful brewing session of simple pale ale. Low ABV and an ounce of Perle at 60 and 30 with some Cascade or Centennial near flame out. Looking forward to a peaceful Saturday.

Cheers. G'night.

Can't you notch it in? I mean cut a wedge out of each side, then cut the thinned center section. And/or make a cut from each side. It is more work, but should be doable.

I could do it but I am not going to. For the amount of work involved I would rather buy wood and give it away. All day yesterday I was blocking wood that was between hip high and mid chest high laying flat on the ground. Those pieces are just the mid sized ones. There are 2 sections I guess 15+ foot long that laying flat on the ground I cannot touch the top of them.

Man I am tuckered. Logger I am not :cross:

Back