Funnel Burp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwayne1521

Reaction score
I use a funnel to fill my carboy with my wort. The problem is that the funnel creates an air lock on the rim of the carboy and causing the wort to "burp" and splatter unless I have somebody to hold the funnel slightly off the rim. It requires two people. I was trying to think of a contraption to but on the funnel to keep it from sealing on the rim. Any suggestions? Has anybody else encountered this?

All you need to do is put something between the funnel and the carboy that creates a gap. Maybe as simple as rolling three pieces of aluminum foil and then hooking them around the carboy's neck, then squeeze the funnel on top. Make sure it's sturdy though!

PICTURE::

Funnel%20burp_01.jpg

I just use a piece of 1/4" siphon hose. I sanitize it, let it dry then put about 3 inches into the neck and let the rest dangle. Then I stuff the funnel in and pour away. When dry it also grips the funnel and keeps it from wandering around the neck of the carboy while you pour.

They also sell funnels with raised edges molded into the insertion side of the funnel. This creates the air gap you are looking for.

Thanks for the help guys. My only worry with something that was not a solid, fixed item (like the aluminum foil) was that it would come loose and fall into the carboy. I like the hot glue idea but maybe I'll try the foil idea first just with water as a trial run to make sure I don't fudge up a batch of beer. Thanks again!

I use a large cable tie. Using two of them I make a loop at the top larger than the opening of the carboy.
Bascially making a "P" shape

I have that same problem when I use half gallon vodka jugs with a funnel & coffee filter to filter my starsan. So I took that lil plastic pouring piece that snaps into the jugs openning & cut a small hole in it to fit the tip of the funnel securely. That pourer has lil slots around the edge that let the pressurizing air escape to allow th efunnel to flow more freely. You could take a plug that fits the carboy & drill some holes around the edge to allow the same aie escape. With th hole in the center to hold the funnel securely.

Back