Need Help in the middle of my boil!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drobaina

Reaction score
Got a Wyeast smack pack and upon arrival it was already swollen. I was told by Midwest that this was ok, but my question now is do I have to still smack it, or has it already been activated? It's kinda nard to smack it when it is as bloated as it is. HELP!

Open it when you are ready to pitch. I suspect the yeast nutrients were released and the yeast is munching on it. You should be able to pitch with no problems.

Ok... I can feel the inner packet in the smack pack... does it end up going in the fermenter too?

If you can feel the inner packet, it's not swollen completely. Don't smack it if you think it will blow the insides all over the wall. The inner packet is some yeast nutrients you really don't need, it dose not matter if they go in the fermentor or not. At this point you can open the pouch and pitch the yeast into the cooled wart.

Alright... pitched and stored. Everything went smooth for being my second time. This one is Midwest's Hex Nut Brown Ale. Can't wait.

Back