Mashing cornstarch and 6-Row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmarc85

Reaction score
Would it be possible to use a base malt containing excessive enzymes (like 6-row) with a bunch of corn starch to make a corn-beer?? It seems that this could be possible as american whiskey is made of corn derived fermentables...

Now that I think about it, maybe a better question would be, does corn malt contain enzymes that can be used to convert starches to sugars? Anyhow let me know your thoughts. I think it could be an interesting concoction!

Would it be possible to use a base malt containing excessive enzymes (like 6-row) with a bunch of corn starch to make a corn-beer?? It seems that this could be possible as american whiskey is made of corn derived fermentables...

Now that I think about it, maybe a better question would be, does corn malt contain enzymes that can be used to convert starches to sugars? Anyhow let me know your thoughts. I think it could be an interesting concoction!

You seem to asking two different things here.

Yes you can use cornstarch but it will not give you any corn flavor. It will lighten the beer if that's what you want. Coors and possibly some others use cornstarch as an adjunct. Mix the cornstarch with the dry, crushed malt before adding the strike water.

Yes corn malt has enzymes as all malt does but it's a DIY ingredient. If you want a corn flavor the easiest thing to do is use flaked corn as has been suggested.

if you use corn starch your mash is going to get vary sticky, the starch in corn starch is activated with heat. and im thinking with it being a thickener it might cause some problems with the boil maybe a boil over

Back