hard cider w/oak flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimwitt

Reaction score
Can I just put some peices of oak into botle of cider to be aged? I like to store cider into 1/2 gallon jugs

Yep. I'm going to assume you got your oak at a brew store? If you got it from your back yard, make sure it's dry! Lol.

I had to buy some chips that I soaked in whiskey for a barley wine I made. Added some chips to a cider I am botteling today. I'm hoping its awesome. I've read a little goes along way, so be cautious!

Thanks for the reply, I have a wood burning stove and live in an oak forrest, I just splintered some of my seasoned fire wood (oak) and put it in.

Mmmmm. Let me know how it turns out. I bet it is a ton better than my store bought stuff.

When I bottled my cider today, I was really impressed. I think it is my best to date, but the wife said it isn't.....hmmm....but, I think with age, carbonation, and cold, she will change her mind!

But- I think I will always use wood chips with cider. It seems to give it an earthy warmth.

For more complex flavors, try lightly toasting your dry, aged oak. If you want more smoke flavor, like a bourbon, you can char the wood.

I am with you on oak
i use 1 tsp per gallon for 3-4 weeks
just trying adding at ferment, seems fine

try it with malolactic bacteria, quite impressive improvement.

What's the best way to sanitise the chips before adding to the brew?

Would boiling them wreck their flavouring ability at all? Only enough water to cover. Maybe add the water as well once it cooled?

Back