Possible chlorophenols?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threetall

Reaction score
So I took some of my hoppy blonde ale to a homebrewing meeting and they all picked up that there is some kind of plastic/chemically taste to my beer. They think it is due to the fact that I fermented the batch in a plastic fermentor. I'm not entirely convinced that is the culprit.

I use a drinking water safe hose with an inline water filter for my brewing water. I have rinsed my mash tun cooler and brew kettle with unfiltered tap water before, so that could be an issue. And I have made star san solution with unfiltered tap water as well.

The blonde that is in question did seem to lag If I recall because it got fairly cold in the basement when I was fermenting it (a little under 60). I also am wondering if it could be my bottling equipment (bottling bucket,wand,autosiphon).
I submitted 2 beers to a homebrew competition that both used plastic fermentors, porter and double ipa, and the judges did not have any criticisms regarding chlorophenols. Although those were bigger darker beers than a blonde.

It's not the plastic fermenters.

Use a Campden tablet to treat your water after filtering.

The Blonde is a very clean style with not much to hide behind, unlike the hoppy goodness of a DIPA or a acrid richness of a porter where some slight off flavors could easily get lost. I would try the Campden though on your next light brew. It can't hurt and it might help. As long as it's clean and well rinsed, the problem is definitely not the plastic fermentor though.

Back