Total wort needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kabitzed

Reaction score
I'm having trouble figuring out the amount of wort I will need to end up with 5.5 gallons.

I want to end up with 5.5 gallons at the end(keg Volume)
I use a keg with a valve at the bottom as a boil kettle.

the boil keg as around 2 gallons left in it when I am done boiling, I put the valve as low as it could go.
Should I tip the kettle slightly to get more wort out, or just add 2 gallons to my intial brewing water.

I also brew all Grain.

Thanks

Or get a dip tube. If you do what you're suggesting and end with 7.5 gallon post boil you'll need to adjust your grain bill up about 36% to hit the same OG.

Or get a dip tube. If you do what you're suggesting and end with 7.5 gallon post boil you'll need to adjust your grain bill up about 36% to hit the same OG.

+1
This! That's a lot of tasty wort being left behind, get the dip tube or tip the kettle until you get one

If I the tip the kettle I usually leave behind approx, 1/2 Gal. Never gave a dip tube a thought. Might give that a try.

Thanks

Back