wyeast 1762 suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinworswick

Reaction score
i have some 1762 on the way and i'm looking for a suitable recipe for it, i'm unfamiliar with belgians so the recipes don't mean too much to me do dubbel,tripel and quad refer to strength,style or both?

any pointers will be appreciated

i think i'll head down to the supermarket and see if i can find any belgians to sample over the weekend

edit-
its 1st gen slurry i'm getting so perhaps i could brew one one lighter style and use that to build up the yeast count for another stronger style?

Something light is always a good way to start, mostly pils, maybe a bit of wheat and/or Vienna, moderate hopping with something noble near the end (Hallertau, Saaz, Goldings etc…). These are sometimes called singles or enkels, essentially they are the sorts of beers that the monk’s drink with their lunch.

From there you can go bigger. Tripels are strong and pale, mostly pils with a bit of table sugar and a solid addition of hops near the start for ~35 IBUs. However 1762 is from Rochefort, so a dark beer might be a good way to go (dubbel or quad). Go easy on the dark malt and get most of your color from candi syrup (much better than the lump/rock stuff) and some dark caramel malts (like special B), go easy on the hops.

I'd avoid spices for your first run with the yeast, figure out what flavors it gives, you can always play with spicing a batch if it is lacking alone.

Hope that gives you some general direction, good luck.

thanks for the reply,

i think i'll go with something like an enkel so i don't need a massive starter and use cake from that for a dubbel

my partner is a pastry chef,who upon questioning revealed she makes candi syrup all the time, don't know why i never thought to ask before!:eek:

i'm planning on 2 brews with the 1762,
first is an enkel, i'm thinking
80% pils
15% vienna
5% carapils

hallertau aroma at 60 and 15 to about 25-30 ibu

mash at 142f

wash the yeast and brew a dubbel
Belgian Pilsner Malt - 10#
Belgian Aromatic Malt - 4 oz.
Belgian Special B Malt - 10 oz.

Mash @ 152* for 60 minutes or more if needed for conversion

Boil 60 minutes

Additions of Amber Candi Syrup 1# - 60 min
Tettnang 1 oz. - 60 min (approx 18 IBUs)
Hallertauer 0.5 oz - 5 min

i got the dubbel recipe from this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/comments-my-1st-recipe-scratch-belgian-dubbel-196014/
as he got some good advice with the ingredients,

any comments/suggestions appreciated

Both sounds tasty, although I'd probably bump up the mash temp on the first one to ~148-150. Its a small beer so you don't have to work too hard to get it dry. Good luck.

1762 works great for a big stout, too, if you don't necessarily want to brew a standard Belgian ale.

thanks for the info, i'll bear that in mind,i tried a bottle of chimay red last night and quite enjoyed it so i think i'll stick with the dubbel for this brew.

i also got a chimay blue which is tonights treat, and i've read they use their primary strain in the bottle so i may build up a starter from the red/blue bottles,split the batches and do a side by side comparison,

would there be appreciable differences between the 2?:confused:

would there be appreciable differences between the 2?:confused:

Quite a bit, actually. These two yeasts would make for a great side by side comparison, if indeed the yeast in the bottle is the same as the primary fermenter. I'm not saying it isn't, just accounting for the fact that some sources are sketchy and practices change. Then again, anything coming from a Blue bottle may be pretty stressed; that's a high abv beer and it's been shipped and abused all over half the western hemisphere. Why not keep a pack of 1214 on hand, just in case?

What would the grain bill and hop schedule for a stout brewed with 1762 look like?

What would the grain bill and hop schedule for a stout brewed with 1762 look like?

Holy thread necro, Batman!

I don't do anything differently than I would for a normal stout. I might suggest a stout that highlights chocolate and dark fruit flavors (think BORIS) rather than a roasty, ashy presentation (think Old Rasputin), but that's hardly necessary. Any (non Irish) recipe would be great with 1762.

Back