When to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris1415

Reaction score
First batch of beer a belgian triple. Had it in primary for three weeks and decided to rack to secondary. It has been in secondary for a week. There is still very small bubbles rising. Don't know if I should bottle or if I should keep it in secondary a little longer.

That's another problem. After I brewed it I didn't have anything to put hydrometer in. So im kinda blind with the gravity.

Did your hydrometer come in a plastic tube? You can use that for a test. I would bet that you are at FG but it is safer to test. You might not like bottle bombs.

Yep it came in a plastic tube. Should I still test it even though I don't have an OG reading? And the bottle bombs is what im worried about.

OG doesn't matter. Check the gravity now and check it again in a few days and if it hasn't moved, you're safe to bottle.

...plus, you could input your recipe into some brewing software and somewhat accurately measure what your OG should have been and what your FG should be - especially if you're using extract. Brewmate and Qbrew are two that come to mind. They're both free.

DON'T RETURN THE SAMPLE, ... sorry for the shouting. Seriously though, don't return it. Yeah you can sanatize, etc, but for several reason I find it undesirable. 1 sanitation, 2 it provides something to taste and sample - after all we really don't care about numbers, we care about flavor. and 3 I often find I want to let it sit a few minute (1/2 hour or longer) ... this is because I often get bubbles or want to check under better lighting, etc. proably #2 is my most common reason for not returning.

Ok. I took the reading and didnt put sample back in. It tastes and smells pretty good. I guess ill check in a day or two and see if it has the same reading.

Back