OMG! I've Discovered IPA's !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marknrox

Reaction score
I'm hooked, I can't get enough, and I can't stop thinking about when I can have another one.

The first time i tried an IPA (Abita Jockamo). I didn't like it. And stupid me, I assumed I didn't like ANY IPA's.

WRONG! I like most of them. It's the most friggin, awesome flavor in the world!

Now that I have discovered hops, I think I would like an oxygen-style hop mask to wear on my face.

Now I need to find some friends who agree.

Twenty years ago, when you ordered an IPA, you got a fizzy yellow beer that was all bite and zero flavor. Thankfully, that has changed and there is so much variety out there....so much so that our Europeans brothers are now brewing American style IPAs.

I'm with you man. Now, if you are anywhere near a liquor store, run and get you some Bell's Two Hearted. That is the only way to keep the awesomeness going. Brewed in Michigan though not sure if it's offered west of the rockies though. Good thing though, they offer it on tap in most places around me nowadays!

Yea according to my Untappd ap I'm a 10th level IPA Nerd.

bdg_hoptopia_md.png
I Believe in IPA! (Level 10)

We believe in IPA and you should too. Try 3 different IPA style beers in a 30 days period.

It means I've tried 30 DIFFERENT IPA brands. Now how many gallons of each I've consumed. Two hearted is my go-to IPA.

my favorite IPA these days is Dogfish Head 60 minute.

wait. no. Two Hearted is my favorite

unless it's a Devil's Backbone 8 Point

depends on which one I had last

just picked up a case of one of my favorites...troeg's perpetual ipa.

I tried the Hop Rod Rye last night and am in love with rye IPAs because every time I have a rye IPA it is exactly what I like.

I also got hooked big time about 2 months ago, and I'm going to brew my first one in a few days. One of my favorites so far has been Dogfish Head 90 min, and that got me hammered pretty fast :D

I'm with you... I can not get enough hops. On brewday I am known to "huff" my hops prior to tossing them into the boil. I do enjoy commercial IPA's but tend to prefer my own because I brew to my taste and the hops fade so fast and mine are always fresh.

so much so that our Europeans brothers are now brewing American style IPAs.

We are indeed, I'm still working my way through my American-style RyePA, and I'm planning more! The main reason I joined this site was to get more American-style recipes (and to gawk at things in the DIY section...).

You can buy quite a few American IPAs in the UK now, for example last night I was in a bar which had Snake Dog IPA and San Fran Liberty Ale.

This, along with the increased intrest in proper beer over the last few years, has also lead to a resurgence in traditional English IPAs. For me the biggest difference is the type of hops used, seems to be citrussy in American and traditional Goldings/Fuggles etc in English IPAs, I think. English ones seem to be more malt-forward and a little weaker in terms of ABV. Obviously all of that is generalisation though!

I love IPAs too!! Unfortunately this is bad for my wallet because imported American IPAs are rather expensive...

mbobhat said:
I'm with you man. Now, if you are anywhere near a liquor store, run and get you some Bell's Two Hearted. That is the only way to keep the awesomeness going. Brewed in Michigan though not sure if it's offered west of the rockies though. Good thing though, they offer it on tap in most places around me nowadays!

Lol. I'll try to find it. Gotta keep the awesomeness going!

So how many hops does it take to constitute an IPA? It seems some beers barely have enough aroma or bite to be called an IPA, yet others will strip enamel.

So how many hops does it take to constitute an IPA? It seems some beers barely have enough aroma or bite to be called an IPA, yet others will strip enamel.

I would say 40+ IBU's personally. Most that I buy though are in the 60 - 80 range.

Hops are an acquired taste, but once you acquire it, its addictive. Plus, as others have noted, the IPA market has exploded. There is an IPA for every taste out there somewhere.

Well,the ones I can remember are;
Great Lakes commadore Perry
DFH 90 minute
Stone Ruination
Hoppin Frog Hoppin to Heaven IPA
Harpoon IPA
My own BuckIPA
I also have an all NZ hopped,PM moari IPA in primary 1 week tomorrow...

Malts and adjuncts used can make 100IBU seem like a 20IBU so there are a lot of variables. This is why when trying to figure out how bitter it actually is you use the BU:GU equation which is more indicative of perceived bitterness.

same boat here, can't get enough of them, can't stop trying new ones and wanting to brew them all...I even got SWMBO hooked them and we both have sworn off our old "beer"

Hi, all;
I've always thought that IPAs would be way too bitter for my tastes, but it sounds like the bitterness is not always overwhelming? What would be a good IPA to start with for a bitterness-shy person?
Thanks.
Susie

Some of the first ones I liked that I don't think are super hoppy: Lagunitas, Lakefront IPA(brewed this clone) & Founders All Day(this is one is pretty light on the IBUs, border line Pale Ale/IPA all are very good in my opinion.

Some folks consider Sierra Nevada pale ale a good gateway drug to hoppier IPAs. :D :mug:

It's kinda funny, but I think Dale's Pale Ale is serving the same purpose these days. It just dropped up here in Detroit. And a lot of folks who might not be true hop heads are trying it because it's something new. And it's a surprise at 65 IBUS how trully hoppy it is. And it's getting well received here.

For me, I picked up a couple of goose island IPAs in the local shop and that was the beginning of the end...

Thanks, all. I do like SNPA on a hot day. I will check out the others. Actually, I am going to take a slight dip (instead of the plunge) and brew EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. Ordered the ingredients today. Am I brave or what. ;)

I'm with you... I can not get enough hops. On brewday I am known to "huff" my hops prior to tossing them into the boil. I do enjoy commercial IPA's but tend to prefer my own because I brew to my taste and the hops fade so fast and mine are always fresh.

Is there any brewer that doesnt do this?:mug::drunk:

I just had my first Stone IPA -- Not bad. Very good actually. It's like a Red Hook Long Hammer with more flavor, hops and aroma.

Maybe I should have tried the Ruination IPA instead.

Other IPA's I've tried include:

BJ's Hopstorm - Thumbs up
Green Flash
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Double IPA - Kinda tastes like Pine Sol -- In a good way.
Full Sail IPA
Goose Island - Didn't like. Found out it's made by Budweiser! - Figures.
Mojo - One of my Fav's
Twisted Pine Hoppy Boy - A bit to much grapefruit

My first was Blind Faith by Magic Hat. Remember it fondly. Senior in college, cracked her open, took one quaff and fell in love. Then I discovered the likes of Dogfish Head, Great Divide, Stone, and Boulder Brewing. Plus my father wound up living 45 min from 3 Floyds, so I frequented them everytime I visited.

I just had my first Stone IPA -- Not bad. Very good actually. It's like a Red Hook Long Hammer with more flavor and aroma.

Maybe I should have tried the Ruination IPA instead.

Other IPA's I've tried include:

BJ's Hopstorm - Thumbs up
Green Flash
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Double IPA - Kinda tastes like Pine Sol -- In a good way.
Full Sail IPA
Goose Island - Didn't like. Found out it's made by Budweiser!
Mojo - One of my Fav's

InBev (Anheuser Busch) owns 1/3 of red hook too...

I just brewed my first IPA today, I'm hoping it turns out great, so I don't ever have to buy one again :D

For a long time i was turned off from IPAs until last year i decided"what the hell i will give this Raging B!#ch a try,it says belgian..".Now it is hard to pass it up.Founders makes one called an All Day IPA which i would consider a perfect start for someone not crazy about in your face hop attack.Kuhnhenn DRIPA is a great one for over the top hop aroma and flavor.

amazing IPA. Hercules double IPA by Great Divide is also great

Latest posts

Back