Lavlin d47 instead of Montrachet in Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaProud

Reaction score
Anyone ever compared Apfelwein made with the traditional Montrachet yeast to Lalvin D47? I was thinking about trying it and thought I would ASK before ACTION. What kind of differences should I expect?

...I have both yeasts, just curious if anyone has done a comparison.

Nope, I haven't. I read that using Montrachet is one of the big reasons folks get 'rhino farts'. So I use D-47 and K1-1116 instead. :)

The farts don't bother me, I ferment in a fermentation chamber in my garage. I am just wondering what different characteristics Apfelwein with d47 might have.

I used D47 in my cyser. There was a week in which my downstairs bathroom (where the brew closet is) smelled like the Grim Reaper went on a burrito binge

The cyser is 8.3%, fermented from 1.065 to 1.004 in two months. I just racked it and added sparkloid.

My fermentation temp was about 68F.

I got rhino farts the first time with Montrachet yeast. Now i use a yeast nurtient/engizer blend my LHBS sells called "Super Ferment" and don't have that problem.

I also got Rhino farts from Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast, Super ferment corrected that problem as well so I use it in every batch of beer/wine I make now.

Back