Conversion of Specific LME (Briess Golden Light)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopkins11

Reaction score
I'm making the leap to all-grain but have run into an issue.

After using Beersmith to convert my favorite extract recipe I noticed that the beer lacks malty taste and almost seems watered down. The base extract in the recipe is Briess Golden Light and I tried my conversion with 2 row. The OG hit right on.

Here's my question: What makes Golden Light "Golden" instead of pale. Is there some amount of caramel to add color and body?
:confused:

CBW® Golden Light Adobe PDF download LME PDF
Adobe PDF download DME PDF
Lovibond Flavor Unique Characteristics/Applications
4.0°
(8 °Plato) Malty

Use in all styles of extract beer and to adjust the gravity of all grain beers.
8.75 °Plato per pound per gallon.
Ingredients: Base Malt, Carapils® Malt, Water

This quote is directly from Briess and it says that to increase the body and "maltiness" it has carapils added. That's only half of the equation. The temperature at which you mash determines how fermetable your wort becomes with a 148 degree mash making your beer very dry and thin while a 158 mash would get you wort that has many long chain sugars that will not ferment with the yeast you use to make beer so your beer will be thick and malty. For many beers, we choose a temperature between those two to get a balance in the beer.

Thanks for your reply. I was @ 152 degrees and had 72% eff.
It seems like carapils just adds sweetness, which might be what I need but I'm not sure how much to add.

I'm hoping someone has a "go-to" conversion that they use...

If you would post your recipe someone can probably give you some good pointers. Otherwise I would suggest half pound of Carapils and half a pound of Caramel 20 but that's just a shot in the dark.

Thanks again for the help. Here's the grain bill for the extract recipe:
8.0 oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
8.0 oz - Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)
6 lbs 9.6 oz - LME Golden Light (Briess) [Boil for 60 min] (4.0 SRM)
1 lbs - DME Golden Light (Briess) [Boil for 15 min] (4.0 SRM)

-and the all-grain conversion from Beersmith:
8.0 oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
8.0 oz - Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)
10 lbs - Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)

By the sound of it, I might just try the half pound of carapils and see what happens!

Your extract recipe has carapils in it along with the carapils in the extract itself but when you converted it to all grain you were missing the carapils that the extract would have had. Up the amount of carapils or give it a pound of C-10 if you like a little more sweetness.

Back