What did I just brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jono1492

Reaction score
So, I just cracked one of my latest brews, and it wasn't quite what I expected... The recipe was supposed to be for a golden ale(more common here in Aus then over in the states I think) and after opening, the colour was definetly not what I was hoping for, I'd say its somewhere between an amber ale and brown ale(actually darker then an amber ale I recently brewed). Anyway, just wondering if anyone can clue me in on what kind of style this brew is closer to based on the recipe and colour? Cheers!

1.7kg amber LME(3.75 pound)
800g wheat DME(28.2 ounce)
500g Light DME(17.6 ounce)
250g wheat malt(steeping)(8.8 ounce)
250g pale malt(steeping)(8.8 ounce)
250g crystal malt(steeping)(8.8 ounce)
Safale s-05
Pride of Ringwood Hops
60 minute boil; hop additions at 60, 30 and flame out.
19L batch
Fermented 28 days, primary only

Any help would be appreciated!

Is it tasty? Because if it is you made good tasty beer! More technically something good and tasty that is a blend of an amber/brown ale? Just think of a cool name for it and it doesn't matter.

If it has a mild hop character and caramel notes to it, I'd say it's still an amber.

Mild hop character, slight roast, and no ever so light on the caramel will put it in brown territory.

Any discernible hoppiness will probably just make it a pale ale

Agreed, you made beer! Recipe certainly looks like an amber though, I usually expect to see a little dark roasted malt in a brown. Assuming a golden ale is a type of blonde I'm surprised the recipe called for amber extract. There would usually be a fair amount of crystal 60 in that extract, plus you added some more crystal - what was the L on that by the way? If you wanted to make it again I'd just sub the amber out for light LME (and do late addition to help lighten the color, especially if partial boil).

You say steep, but was your steep a mini-mash - i.e. what temp and how much water? The pale and wheat malt should be mashed to get fermentables.
:mug:

How did it taste? I'm looking for info from people that used Pride of Ringwood for late additions, since from what I've read that it is not advisable. Did you like how yours turned out?

Latest posts

Back