Rough Hopping Amounts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukbrewhaha

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been brewing a while and am a big fan of hoppy beers. Over the various batches, I've started to approach a level of hopping that to me seems extreme, but I'm still not getting the results I want. Maybe I'm ill informed, and that I'm simply not adding enough hops, or maybe it's something to do with my technique.

Take my last batch as an example:

New Zealand Pale 4.4% - 10L batch size

30mins: 20g Nelson Sauvigne
0 mins(15 mins steep): 60g Nelson Sauvigne

Don't get my wrong, it's quite hoppy, but hasn't got that full bodied thick hop flavour that I like. From reading other people's recipes, they add less hops than me but talk about bigger flavours than I can describe.

There's plenty of guides about regarding IBUs and bitterness, but is there any available regarding the relationship of hop amounts-flavour?

Cheers

Hey guys,

I've been brewing a while and am a big fan of hoppy beers. Over the various batches, I've started to approach a level of hopping that to me seems extreme, but I'm still not getting the results I want. Maybe I'm ill informed, and that I'm simply not adding enough hops, or maybe it's something to do with my technique.

Take my last batch as an example:

New Zealand Pale 4.4% - 10L batch size

30mins: 20g Nelson Sauvigne
0 mins(15 mins steep): 60g Nelson Sauvigne

Don't get my wrong, it's quite hoppy, but hasn't got that full bodied thick hop flavour that I like. From reading other people's recipes, they add less hops than me but talk about bigger flavours than I can describe.

There's plenty of guides about regarding IBUs and bitterness, but is there any available regarding the relationship of hop amounts-flavour?

Cheers

I'd definitely change the hops schedule. I'd go with 60 minute additions to get a firm bitterness instead of 30 minutes, and then "layer" the flavors at 15/0 and dryhopping as well. There are wonderful hops flavors and aromas that appear with a 15 minute addition. For more aroma, the 0 minute addition is good as well. I don't like all bittering and flame out additions if you want depth in the hops flavor and aroma.

In a 10 liter batch, I'd so something like this:
15 grams @ 60 minutes (for the IBUs to 35 +/-, software is helpful for this)
15 grams @ 15 minutes
15 grams @ 5 minutes
15 grams @ 0 minutes
If you want more hops aroma, you can always dry hop.

Also, keep in mind that if you use lots of crystal malt that the hops flavor can be muted, and water chemistry also plays a part.

Thats my main worry, cos if the solution is simply adding more hops, then that's not a problem. However I don't wanna start chucking in tons of hops if its not going to have a massive effect.

Am I crazy to think that 80-100g of hops for a 10L batch is a lot? Or is 6-7/10 hop flavour from this amount pretty normal?

Thats my main worry, cos if the solution is simply adding more hops, then that's not a problem. However I don't wanna start chucking in tons of hops if its not going to have a massive effect.

Am I crazy to think that 80-100g of hops for a 10L batch is a lot? Or is 6-7/10 hop flavour from this amount pretty normal?

Not, it's not alot. But it's also sort of a waste of hops to use them at 30 minutes and flame out, when you extract far more bittering out of them at 60 minutes and get flavor out of them at 15 minutes.

My sample recipe posted above uses LESS hops than you recipe, not more. And it will have firmer bitterness, more hops flavor, and more aroma.

Ah I see, so its about having additions along the way to set up a proper backbone and hop flavour profile throughout?

Thats what I was wondering, since I see other recipes with less hops, but people talk of getting a lot more.

Next brew I'll definitely bump up my 15 min additions, and move some from 0 to 5 and see how much difference it makes. The absence of bitter in my example is uncommon, I just did it as an experiment to see if I could extract as much flavour as possible while still hitting my IBUs

Latest posts

Back