Mead Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmccoy

Reaction score
Greetings all!!!!! I am looking for a few really good mead recipes. The ones that I am most interested in first are as follows: Pear Mead, and Pineapple Mead. Please scale them to a 5 gallon batch. Thank you and have day.

I find the simpler the recipe the better it is. Here is what I would do with any fruit recipe:

1 gallon (12 lb) honey
2 gallon (juice of your choice) or 15 lb of fresh fruit that has been frozen and thawed twice
1 tbs of black tea of choice (I like Earl Grey)
2.5 tsp of pectic enzyme
5 tsp of yeast nutrient (The clear crystal kind "DAP")
2.5 tsp of yeast energizer (The tan colored nutrient)
Yeast (Lalvin 71b-1122)

Mix in all the ingredients lack the yeast and on the nutrient only the 5 tsp of DAP and 1 tsp of energizer. Let sit for 24 hours to let pectic enzyme work on the fruit and break down any pectin. Them rehydrate yeast per package directions and pitch yeast. Every 24 hours pitch in 1/2 tsp of yeast energizer for 3 days making sure to degass and aerate the mead a bit. Then let sit under airlock till fermentation completes and the mead is mostly clear. Wait no more then 10 weeks. You don't want a must sitting on a 71b yeast cake too long.

When racking add in 5 crushed Camden tablets and 2.5 tsp potassium sorbate to stabilize and protect from oxygenation. Now if the mead is too dry you can add honey to your preferred gravity. If you want a fruitier flavor rack onto fresh fruit. Start with 5lb, wait 2-4 weeks then rack again and taste. You can add more fruit then or just bulk age from there.

This will be a 14% abv melomel so 8 - 12 months of aging is minimum before I would consider this drinkable. You can try it sooner though if you like, just may be a bit hot.

Thank you for your help. I like what you have done because it makes it easy for me to make my own recipes.

No problem. I have adapted to using this kind of base model after many many experiments. Let us know how this works out for you.

Back