Odd trub/krausen floating around fermenter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatMikeKid

Reaction score
So I took a gravity reading a few days ago, and I had some white, chunky stuff floating around. I've never seen this before with my other brew, but I did notice a little more trub made it to the fermenter (didn't whirlpool, rookie mistake)

The brew still has a pretty definitive krausen, but I'm noticing a significant amount of buildup at the bottom, particularly near the spout of my primary. I'm looking to transfer into a secondary in a few days for added flavor, but should I be concerned for this crap floating around/settling?

Th

First off, I never whirlpool nor do a bunch of others on here. Those who have tried whirlpooling, filtering, and just dumping the whole mess into the fermenter don't find much difference in the taste nor the clearing of the beer.

Second, your beer still has krausen so it is not nearly far enough along to secondary, if it even should be put into secondary. Use your hydrometer to tell when the ferment is over, not airlock bubbling, not lack of activity in the carboy. Never transfer until you have reached final gravity. The stuff you have floating is nothing to worry about. Most of the time that stuff will settle when the ferment is over. If your hydrometer says it's done, moving the fermenter may be enough to get it to fall. If not, rack from under it.

Thanks man. I plan on taking another reading in a few days. Airlock stopped bubbling before I took a gravity reading, which was around 1.012.

Appreciate the input!

I agree with RM I just dump the whole mess in the fermenter and let it settle out, I don't believe in extra steps or over complicating things

Took a peek inside the fermenter. Krausen has gone way down, but I do see white chunks still floating around.

Just going to give it a few more days.

Latest posts

Back