Label Removing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afoster

Reaction score
Ive recently been collecting wine bottles for my home made wine that is in the carboys now. I finally have enough bottles to start bottling and I wanted to remove all the labels. I did some research and soaked them in the tube with water and oxy clean over night. The labels came off fine for the most part, but now that the bottles are dried they seem to have a very hard stain that looks to be from the oxy clean soap. I tried running a few through the dishwasher with no soap in hopes that this would clean them off, but there still not clean at all. My biggest fear is that the inside of the bottles have this same soapy substance that is nearly imposiable to scrub off. Is there any way I can treat these bottles or should I just not use them? Any help would be greatly appreciated as this wine is being made for my sisters wedding, and I don't want anything to go bad with the 60 bottles of wine that are being made on such a big day.

Thanks, Andy Foster

I use oxyclean all the time with no problems...from what you are describing, it may be your water and not the oxyclean. Do you have hard water issues in your area? If so, maybe some CLR may help.

City water so I would assume that my water is pretty hard. Seems to do this to dishes as well after the wash is done. Would I just soak the bottles in CLR to remove the hard water stains?

Try soaking one of your bottles in a dilute of CLR and see if it take the residue off. If it does, then that's the problem.

Some B Brite in hot water will definitely di the trick, plus it will thoroughly clean the inside of the bottles.
Rinse w/ hit water then sanitize w/ StarSan if you're ready to bottle.

A lot of people have this problem, like others said it's dependent on the hardness of your water. To remove the oxy "film", you need an acid soak. Dilute vinegar or star san will do the trick. :mug:

Man, this is great to know. I seem to have this problem if I let the bottles soak for a long time, like a day or more. To avoid it I have been trying to only let them soak for an hour, but life sometimes gets in the way of those plans. I will be pulling a bunch of bottles out of the recycle bin tonight to see if a vinegar soak does the trick.

Soaked my bottles in a star san solution and the bottles look like new again. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Back