A Beer for guys that don't like good beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StroudCreek

Reaction score
I want to brew a beer this up coming weekend for some friends that don't really like good beer. It's for a party we are having on May 17th so I only have 5 weeks. I keg all my beer but I was thinking I would bottle this one. What would you guys recommend?

I would do a smash with just base grain and some low IBU hops like crystal

You will still like it but it will be almost clear and understated on hops so they will enjoy also

Centennial Blonde and Cream of Three Crops. Alternatively, you can make a bad beer, but those are two examples of mass-crowd-pleasing recipes. So good, homebrewers and BMC drinkers can both enjoy them.

Centennial Blonde and Cream of Three Crops. Alternatively, you can make a bad beer, but those are two examples of mass-crowd-pleasing recipes. So good, homebrewers and BMC drinkers can both enjoy them.

These. Easy to brew and quick turnaround.

I have been in your shoes. Search yellow fizzy beer. I just brewed it for a party. It has a bunch of good reviews. I brewed it yesterday and the party is June 1st. If you can't find it let me know.

...I keg all my beer but I was thinking I would bottle this one. What would you guys recommend?

i would suggest that you keg this beer, and if you want to serve it in bottles then bottle from the keg. If you serve bottle conditioned beer to people who are used to BMC they will drink from the bottle and then tell you your beer is funny tasting... and then tell you the next time they see you it gave them the ****s :D

StroudCreek said:
Good point mattd2

So just to clarify are these the kind of friends that you want to have the ****s or not because that could change the recommendations

In all seriousness this is the smash I was describing and shouldn't scare off your friends

image-3325974184.jpg

I recommend finding new friends. ones that brew.:tank:

I'm more on this side of the fence. If they don't like beer to begin with, it would be a waste to brew something mediocre just for them. You're better off trying to meet somewhere in the middle, and brewing something that you like that won't totally put them off. A standard pale ale or stout is a good example. Neither have overtly strong flavors, but I wouldn't mind having either on tap. A regular pale ale also has the added benefit of, somehow, subconsciously suckering people into like hops.

I'm more on this side of the fence. If they don't like beer to begin with, it would be a waste to brew something mediocre just for them. You're better off trying to meet somewhere in the middle, and brewing something that you like that won't totally put them off. A standard pale ale or stout is a good example. Neither have overtly strong flavors, but I wouldn't mind having either on tap. A regular pale ale also has the added benefit of, somehow, subconsciously suckering people into like hops.

you gotta trickle BMC drinkers into the hops & darker styles. gradually (over a few months) give them one that's just a bit hoppier or darker than the last. before you know it, BL drinker wants to try an India Black Ale.

From my own experience in a similar manner, everyone liked Centennial Blonde and the Orange Honey Wheat that I brewed. I don't bother trying to convert people anymore. Different strokes for different folks. I am pretty much a "maven" about everything I consume, food, drink, etc. And I have come to realize that most people really don't give a damn, so neither do I if they don't.

American or Belgian blondes and wheat beers seem to satisfy a crowd.

It is getting into the summer season - stouts and porters aren't necessarily the ticket on a warm summer day. Maybe think of this as an opportunity to explore light summer brews. This is the perfect opportunity to experiment with something light that *you* might like to drink - if it is a flop then your BMC-swilling buddies will take care of it for you. See if you can hit something that is the common denominator for you and the BMC crowd. I'm going to give Centennial Blonde a shot as soon as my 6-gal primary opens up.

Back