Odd Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBee727

Reaction score
I have my first batch of mead underway and fortunately have no issues (so far) with it! Here's hoping my good luck continues.

However, looking farther down the I have a hickup I can't seem to find a solution too. The bottles that I have for when it's done fermenting have short wide necks compared to most.
The necks are exactly the same width as a standard 1 gallon glass jug, but only about as tall as the cap screw part.
(image below)

My question is, how should I go about sealing these for a still mead? If I cork, what corker should I get (on a budget) and what size corks do I need? Can I even cork them with such a short neck?

IMG_0021.jpg

I use this corker, http://labelpeelers.com/portuguese-double-lever-corker-p-2814.html?gclid=CK6FtZ6ZpbcCFYKd4AodGWUAZQ .But those don't look like wine bottles. Buy some cheap wine for a few bucks a bottle, have a party and keep the standard size 750ml bottles. Number 8 or 9 corks should work. Or you can used a tapered cork, but I have no idea what # size you would need. With the tapered corks, I think you would just jam them in and pull them out to poor manually. http://labelpeelers.com/corks-tapered-corks-c-4_196_268.html

they're actually 800ml Voss Water bottles. I have about a dozen extra and like the way they look the table. so just push a tapered cork down into them real good?
tumblr_lky68yNrw21qfly3po1_500.jpg

I feel like that would be your best option. You may also want to try just using the screw caps they come with. Maybe bring one of the bottles into a home-brew shop and get it sized for a tapered cork, they me even have them there.

would the screw caps be suitable for long term storage though? I didn't think they would provide a tight enough seal.

I would think they loose carbonation very quickly once the seal is broken. Just like a soda bottle.

You could cork them, and then put the Voss cap back on to keep the cork from unseating (word?) itself.

Back