browning bottom leafs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpm2nite

Reaction score
Can anyone help identify what is happening with leafs on my hops,
they are about 6-7 foot now and this is from the bottom leafs on the plant.

I didn't see and bugs (correction I just spotted one super small red spider mite?) on one of them. The condition seems like it's only affecting the bottom leaves currently... wondering if it is a fungus or downy mildew?

I have some copper fungicide and I'm wondering if I should apply that and also if I should spray the affected leaves or the whole plants. Also I'm guessing I should try a "test" plant or two first for a few day.

Thanks!

hop_leaf.jpg

Get out your magnifier and check the underside of those leaves, because that mite might be one of a hoard. The damage looks similar to that wrought by a two-spotted mite infestation I had on my Cascades last year before I turned the bug soap on them...

Cheers!

That's been happening to mine for as long as I've been growing, pretty much across all varieties. It doesn't really fit any disease or virus so I just write it off to old age. As long as the upper portion of the vines look healthy and produce nice hops, I wouldn't worry about it.

Get out your magnifier and check the underside of those leaves, because that mite might be one of a hoard. The damage looks similar to that wrought by a two-spotted mite infestation I had on my Cascades last year before I turned the bug soap on them...

Cheers!

It doesn't look like mite dammage. Not white enough. I'd be really surprised to see an infestation this early in the season especially as far north as NY. I get mites really bad every year, but usually not until sometime in July when it gets dry and hot. Looks more like a nutrient defficiency to me.

That's been happening to mine for as long as I've been growing, pretty much across all varieties. It doesn't really fit any disease or virus so I just write it off to old age. As long as the upper portion of the vines look healthy and produce nice hops, I wouldn't worry about it.
+1. the plant is concentrating its energies on the growing tips so i chalk it up to neglect of the older parts. i trim off the bottom leaves anyways.

Back