Chocolate Scortch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talsma

Reaction score
Soo with 24 hours l, my plastic carboy blew its stopper and spewed beer and yeast cake all over my laundry room. It was set up with an over flow kit with the stopper pressed down tight..not sure how it could blow..any opinions?

Buggars are pretty amazing aren't they!

The wheat I just brewed last night turned into a foam mountain this morning, I have brewed this many times, pitched at about 65* and all I can say is I noticed my Wyeast-1010 was a bit more aggressive than I have seen before, and I my new funnel really aerated the wort a lot easier than I expected.

Well this was more than just a run off..so much pressure built up that I hit my ceiling as well. And that was the most dense spot. Did it just get too warm? I never would have imagined that much pressure could build up with a blow off valve set up.

When I started brewing I would put my carboy in the shower (fermentation shower). They would heat up and produce a really violent fermentation because of the higher internal temperatures. I used a 1" blow off tube into a mason jar and when I noticed the heat rising I would pack the carboy with ice packs.

Now I use a keezer as my fermentation chamber and don't have any issues with blow overs because the temperature of the fermenting wort is held at a constant temperature. The lower temperatures really slow the yeast fermentation process. Haven't had a blow off since I started with the keezer.

Cheers,

Well this was more than just a run off..so much pressure built up that I hit my ceiling as well. And that was the most dense spot. Did it just get too warm? I never would have imagined that much pressure could build up with a blow off valve set up.

At least for the first day or two I just lightly set it in, that way it doesn't geyser on me. But building a blow-off vessel that won't allow siphon back is definitely on my list, pretty sure I've been surviving on luck so far.

These are the before a s after pics

image-3023972488.jpg

image-2757336012.jpg

image-1869131946.jpg

Ouch! I usually tape the better bottle blow off setup I have down for the first few days when the fermentation goes insane. After that im not worried, but you never know, I'm just more on the safe side

That's a good tip! Thanks for the suggestion. I think the blow off tube got clogged or something, it being only a 1/4 in tube

Latest posts

Back