Goose Island Sofie Dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregkeller

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea if the dregs from this are a pure Brett culture, or if there is some yeast from primary (maybe a saison strain?), or some other bugs like lacto/pedio etc. from the barrels? I guess it's not a huge deal, but was just trying to figure if i got a nice clean sample or some kind of mixed bag that is gonna change over time as different things grow at different rates.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, I've had good luck culturing this up from the bottle, and get a nice brett character after ~3-4 months. The grain bill from brewing classic styles along with cultured yeast from saison dupont and sofie turns out a really nice saison, that I feel is very reminiscent of Sofie.

-Mike, your book is awesome by the way. Great job, it has given me a ton of ideas i want to try out.

I'll be trying this soon. Actually, I was planning on adding dregs from two 12-oz bottles of Sofie, in addition to the dregs from two 750-mL bottles of a Sante Adairius saison that also has brett and some bacteria. Did you build up a starter and add it from the get-go, wait until secondary, or something else entirely? I'm a newbie to making funky beers.

Back