fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgd

Reaction score
I started fermenting an american pale ale on Monday, the 13th. OG 1043. Temp. 74 degrees F. I expected to do a single stage fermentation for 8 days and then bottle.

Today, the 19th, I checked the specific gravity and it is 1002. Should I bottle today. I have not fermented less than 7 days. I usually do a two stage fermentation.

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

David

1.002 or 1.020? 1.002 is very very low and suggests extremely high attenuation. Did you read your hydrometer correctly? If it is 1.002, then you have a 6% ABV beer @ 96% attenuation. What yeast did you use?

If you bottle today you will have "green beer" for some time in the bottles as it matures slower there than in the fermenter. It will have a "green apple" taste. It will also have much more sediment in the bottles than if you wait longer. Leave this beer in the fermenter for at least another week and be rewarded with better beer.

Latest posts

Back