Screwed the pooch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hello all. I think I have performed the all time bone head move in home brewing. I made a Purple Haze clone today. Everything is going pretty well. I am cooling down with the wort chiller. I walk away to let it do it's thing for awhile and I come back about 20 minutes later to find my pot almost full. Definitely shouldn't be. Wasn't even close when I started it. Come to find out that there was a VERY small hole in the hose I was using and water dripped into the batch. I would say about 1 gallon at least. Pisses me off :(. I decided to finish it anyways. Why not. WTF? So I took an OG reading. It is supposed to be 1.046. Showed 1.032. GD it. I LOVE Purple Haze. Jst to see what happens I finished the batch as normal and will ferment it out. What can I expect or am I basically losing this batch?

Dang, those things always happen when you turn your back.

You could add some extract to bring the OG up.
Then dry hop a bit stronger to compensate for diluted flavor and aroma.
I've added bitterness through a (steeped) hop tea, either right before bottling or when dry hopping.

5 or 10 Gal batch?

I'm always afraid that this will happen to me, I am constantly tightening the connections on my chiller. If I were you I would probably bring it back to a boil to kill anything that might have gotten in there and also to hopefully boil away a little more of the extra water.

Had almost the same thing happen once before, except the chiller blew a hole. We reboiled it (took forever), but in the end it turned out to be a fantastic beer.

Not guaranteed, but I would say there is a good chance of infection since garden hoses are typically not very clean. If it's too late to reboil, let it roll and let us know how it turned out.

Meh. As long as you have fermenter space I would just ferment it out. I would consider what happened the equivalent of using some unboiled topoff water. It will probably be fine, if a little thin. Let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back