malt extract kit with no added fermentables?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TylerGuy

Reaction score
if i were to brew a coopers kit for instance with no fermentables what would my final alcohol percentage be? Id like a beer with low percentage for those days you want a cold one and dont want to get drunk (i know these days are few)

It would depend upon the kit, what the fermentables (the malt extract) in the kit were. I can't answer because I don't have experience with Coopers' kits but if the kit gives you an expected Original Gravity and an expected Final Gravity, we can tell you what the ABV would be.

You could reduce the extract if you want to reduce the ABV. It will effect your IBU's though unless it's a hopped extract type kit. or you could increase the volume with additional water making it a larger batch if you have the room. That would reduce the IBU's though (assuming you do nothing with the hop additions).

You'd need to check it against a brew calculator to get a good idea of what you'd be doing.

You can brew the Cooper's can with no added fermentables,but the OG would be in the 1.03X range. About the same ABV as Miller's. You could add a pound or so of sugar to get it around OG 1.040,which would be pretty average for an ale intended for warm weather.

its no specific kit just looking for a beer that be could be drank like a soda. i dont drink pop unless its taste has been altered by burbon...or some other great liquor.

What kind of beer(s) do you like?
What kind of kit are you considering? It sounds as though it would be best to either find what you are looking for or work up a recipe to make exactly what you want.

Back