splitting dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wastedkila

Reaction score
I only have one packet of dry yeast, can I split it across 2 batches of i make a starter? I can weigh it out and make sure both are even. Or is this a bad idea?

dry yeast is specially treated and coated with all the fats and amino acids it needs to work. making a starter, it eats up the fats and acids in the starter, and starts getting sluggish early. bad idea

http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.php:
Many experts suggest that placing dry yeasts in a starter would just deplete the reserves that the yeast manufacturer worked so hard to build into their product. For dry yeasts, just do a proper rehydration in tap water, do not make a starter.

One of the benefits of dry yeast is you do not need a starter and no need to aerate the wort. It is recommended to rehydrate the yeast before pitching though.
If you are not brewing the 2 batches close together then wait until you bottle and harvest the yeast from the fermenter. There is an excellent sticky thread on Yeast Washing.
If you need to do 2 brews quite close together then yes you could split the pack then rehydrate the half packs of yeast and put it into a starter. Personally I would buy another pack if that is the case and look at yeast harvesting in the future.

el_caro said:
One of the benefits of dry yeast is you do not need a starter and no need to aerate the wort. It is recommended to rehydrate the yeast before pitching though.
If you are not brewing the 2 batches close together then wait until you bottle and harvest the yeast from the fermenter. There is an excellent sticky thread on Yeast Washing.
If you need to do 2 brews quite close together then yes you could split the pack then rehydrate the half packs of yeast and put it into a starter. Personally I would buy another pack if that is the case and look at yeast harvesting in the future.

Wow, is this true? No need to aerate before pitching? How do you get around that by just using dry yeast?

The best thing I know of to do with dry yeast (as per yeast guru Dr. Clayton Cone) is to rehydrate it by sprinkling it into 1/2 cup of 95*F boiled/cooled tap water, let sit 15 min, stir, let sit another 5 min. Then adjust the temp downward to within 10*F of wort temp by adding small amounts of wort (with a few minutes between each addition) to the yeast slurry.

Apparently, sprinkling dry yeast either into starter wort or straight into the batch kills around 1/2 the cells before they can rebuild their cell walls.

I bubble O2 (via a 0.5 micron SS stone) when using liquid yeast. I don't when using dry.

Wow, is this true? No need to aerate before pitching? How do you get around that by just using dry yeast?

Here is an excerpt from DANSTAR site FAQ

I always aerate my wort when using liquid yeast. Do I need to aerate the wort before pitching dry yeast?

No, there is no need to aerate the wort but it does not harm the yeast either. During its aerobic production, dry yeast accumulates sufficient amounts of unsaturated fatty acids and sterols to produce enough biomass in the first stage of fermentation. The only reason to aerate the wort when using wet yeast is to provide the yeast with oxygen so that it can produce sterols and unsaturated fatty acids which are important parts of the cell membrane and therefore essential for biomass production.

If the slurry from dry yeast fermentation is re-pitched from one batch of beer to another, the wort has to be aerated as with any liquid yeast.

Wow that was some good information. Thanks for the replies. I figured since I'm making the regular 5G of beer I'll just split the yeast pack into 2 and rehydrate it in separate containers before pitching. I'll toss some wort in it from both and see how it turns out (I've never put wort into my rehydrated yeast before). Thanks for the tips!

Back