Are bottles and good gauge for keg carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
I carbed my keg naturally at the same time as i bottled. Same web based carbonation calculator and dme type for both. Can i assume the carbonation is the same in my keg as it is in my bottles? Sorry for such a stupid question. also what happens if I tap the keg, and its not ready yet? again I'm sorry for such dumb questions. Not trolling.

Again, I apologize for the questions im just new to this whole kegging thing.

The amount of sugar needed for natural carb'ing in the keg is actually less than for bottling. BeerSmith kicks out about 1/2 the amount of sugar for kegging.

I'd wager that your keg will be overcarbed.

Either way, if you tap the keg and it's not ready yet... just disconnect everything and let it wait. No big deal.

The amount of sugar needed for natural carb'ing in the keg is actually less than for bottling. BeerSmith kicks out about 1/2 the amount of sugar for kegging.

I'd wager that your keg will be overcarbed.

Either way, if you tap the keg and it's not ready yet... just disconnect everything and let it wait. No big deal.

I did half the amount i needed to bottle in the keg. Also i was going to chill it for a day or two before tapping. If its not ready should i pull it out and let it finish?

All else equal, if you used a calculator that allowed you to choose between bottles and kegs when determining the weight of priming sugars, the carbonation for both should be the same. Otoh, if you used the same weight of sugar per gallon of beer for both bottles and keg, you can expect the kegged beer to be carbed to a higher level...

Cheers!

All else equal, if you used a calculator that allowed you to choose between bottles and kegs when determining the weight of priming sugars, the carbonation for both should be the same. Otoh, if you used the same weight of sugar per gallon of beer for both bottles and keg, you can expect the kegged beer to be carbed to a higher level...

Cheers!

Thanks, please feel free to respond to above post. I think i have over thought this. Lol certainly feels like rocket science. I just want to get it right the first time.

When you tap the keg, you are gonna hook up CO2 to it at a set pressure anyways. So:

1) If it's overcarb'd, bleed off some of the pressure, and keep in the fridge hooked up to the CO2.
2) If it is undercarb'd, wait a few days in the fridge hooked up for the CO2 from your tank to force-carb it to the proper levels
3) If it is sweet, unhook everything, and take it out of the fridge for a while.

Easy Peasy. Can't go wrong. RDWHAHB

A guy in my brew club "naturally" (evidently some people think adding something to your beer in order for it to ferment again is a "natural" thing to do) carbs his kegged beer with sugar, and while he makes great beer, I don't get it. When asked, his only explanation was that is was cheaper to carb with sugar than CO2. If you're a commercial brewery, I understand the desire for cost savings. But on the home brew level I just don't get it.

A guy in my brew club "naturally" (evidently some people think adding something to your beer in order for it to ferment again is a "natural" thing to do) carbs his kegged beer with sugar, and while he makes great beer, I don't get it. When asked, his only explanation was that is was cheaper to carb with sugar than CO2. If you're a commercial brewery, I understand the desire for cost savings. But on the home brew level I just don't get it.

Didn't have the tank yet at the time of kegging. All is well now and will force carb the next batch.

I have a very small apartment, which means a 2 tap kegerator and no room to cold crash / low and slow co2 carb. Using the sugar method allows me to have all of my kegs full (when the pipeline is). When a keg kicks, within 24 hours I have another fully carb'd keg already loaded and chilled. It takes a week or so to really clear, but it's not like I care if it's a little cloudy or not.

Latest posts

Back