any problems with sour mash in a cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inhousebrew

Reaction score
Just posting this after thinking about it in another thread. I have been interested in a sour mash but have not done much research on it. So you're just mashing, letting the temp drop and then waiting an extended time to sour the mash? Is this introducing bacteria or other bugs into the mashtun then?

I have a ten gallon plastic cooler and know that for other sour brews you should have dedicated plastic equipment (ie. racking canes, tubing, maybe airlocks, etc.). Would this process mean you need a dedicated plastic mashtun so that you're not contaminating other batches?

it wouldnt matter if you contaminate other batches as you'd be boiling them. it's fine to use

I did a sour mash in my cooler and the smell and taste of lacto kinda stained the plastic it and made it useless for lighter styles. I did a cream ale after and could taste a little cheese in there! ikd if it's happened to anyone else!

I've done 2 sour mashes in my cooler and can't smell any sour left after I cleaned it out. They were 4 and 5 days long each and were pretty dang sour.

Latest posts

Back