Shoot Happens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bierliebhaber

Reaction score
It's been killing me to cut all these fat shoots busting out of my second year Centennial. So I thought I'd try something. Several shoots have traveled from the center of the hill to break out the side. I already have my 'chosen ones' climbing string, so I gently dig back a bit to where the shoots have developed little root starts and snip. I've planted about ten of these from the one plant and they seem to take immediately. I have not had a single clipping die. I had considered trying to produce rhizomes, but this is just so easy!

That is exactly what I did last year to my two "parent" plants that grow in my folk's backyard. I successfully harvested about 10 of the side runners coming up elsewhere in the lawn (another 3 or 4 died after being plucked). These little hoplings were potted and nurtured on the balcony of my apartment. In turn, these will be planted in the earth this year (whenever winter leaves Wisconsin) and I will have a veritable hop army! <cue maniacal laughter>

Back