wyeast kolsch I vs kolsch II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CG72

Reaction score
i've used kolsch I (2565) about 4 times and i'm pretty pleased with the product. but now i've noticed kolsch II (2575) on the market. just wonering if anyone has had any experience using both and could compare/contrast the two.

Hello,

Also interested... Ive read that you can also use Kolsh I in "regular" german pils, weissen and apfelwein. Whant to know if II is versatile to.

Hello,

Just asked Wyeast representative and he answered me that both are versatiles. Here is an other part of his answer

There is not a huge difference between the flavors of the strains. 2575 will flock SLIGHTLY better and if run sided by side with 2565 in same wort, same fermentation temps, etc, I prefer the balance of 2575, less winey aromas than 2565.

My LHBS dont have the 2575,... so maybe next year

Take a look at WLP003 German Ale Yeast too. I don't believe Wyeast has an equivalent.

Good for Kölsch, Alt, and German style Pale Ales. Strong sulfur component will reduce with aging. Clean, but with more ester production than WLP029. Up to 80% attenuation and medium floc. 65-70 F fermentation zone. Does not ferment well at less than 62 F.

Back