Advice for using Brett....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_F_30

Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to make a peppercorn Saison with a Brett yeast. My question to the yeast enthusiasts is should I use strictly a Brett strain or perhaps blend a Saison yeast (such as white labs Saison yeasts) and add the Brett after the initial fermentation flurry has died down? Just lookin for some advice..... I like a medium Brett character.... Thanks guys.

I've done two Brett (Brux) beers recently, both Saisons.
The first one I brewed the Saison like normal then transferred to secondary, added the Brett and aged it for six months with Chardonnay oak chips. Bottled with Champagne yeast and corn sugar. This beer came out fantastic, slight fruitiness, very complex and mild Bett character!!
The second one I threw both yeasts in together, fermented normally, secondaried with Chardonnay oak chips for a couple weeks and kegged it. I used the seperate vials because i got an expired Saison yeast for free, you could just use White Labs Farmhouse blend. Nice beer, seems to have more Brett character too.
I plan on an all Brett beer soon.

If you're looking for Brett funk then use it as a secondary strain. Or as mentioned you could pitch both at the same time. The primary strain will do the bulk of the fermentation while the Brett grows.

First, you need to decide what you want. As the previous post recommends, if you are looking for the traditional Brett flavors, such as farmhouse, barnyard, wet hay, dirty socks etc, you will get more character pitching Brett and Sacc at the same time and less character pitching Sacc first then Brett in secondary.

I have a barrel aged saison that was primaried in carboys with Sacc and transferred to a barrel for extended aging. After primary it was about 1.006-1.008. It has since dried out to 1.000 in the barrel but has limited Brett character, I'm assuming due to strain selection - WLP 644, a strain probably better suited for all Brett beers.

If you want less (or none) of the previously described characteristics and more tropical fruit, pineapple, melon, overripe fruit, fruit salad, etc, then you are probably better off going all-Brett. Strain selection will obviously get you different flavor characteristics.

Thanks! I'm going to try the primary with the WLP Saison II Yeast then add the Brett on the secondary. Give it a whirl and see what happens.

Back