Denny's favorite 50

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayjm

Reaction score
So, I have an IPA that turned out really well that I would like to brew again. Here's the grain bill for a 5 gallon batch:
12 lbs Maris Otter ( Crisp)
1 lb rye malt
0.5 lb crystal 40
0.5 lb malt (toasted by LHBS, kind of like Victory)

1 oz Magnum (13.1 AA) at 60 min
1 oz Cascade (7.5 AA) at 15, 10, 5, flameout, and dry hop 7 days

I pitched 12 oz of slurry from a previous pale ale (originally Denny's Favorite 50 from Wyeast). It fermented beautifully and even cleared up nicely after a cold crash at 38 F for a couple of days, unlike the original ale, which was slow to clear. My question: does anyone have a good substitute for the Denny's? I am thinking this beer may become my "house ale". I'm not opposed to using the Denny's again, but I am curious what other yeasts may be similar, since I don't know a lot about it.
Thanks and happy brewing.

I just used DF50 for the first time for a stout. It's still in the fermenter, so I can't evaulate yet. One concern I have about DF50 is that it is a low flocculating yeast, and I tend to prefer high floccers. But this won't be a problem in a stout, for sure.

I can't say that DF50 wouldn't be fine for a brew like yours, but I don't have the experience to know. For a lighter (colored) beer, I'd be tempted to go with a higher flocculating yeast to help with final clarity.

Maybe Denny will chime in here and shed some more useful info.

But then, what do I know? Here is a light colored IPA, one of Denny's recipes, with a low SRM. Maybe check out the alternative yeasts listed in that recipe for other ideas for your own brew.

All-Grain - Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

I just found it time-consuming to make a big enough starter for my stout because of the low flocculation.

thanks billtzk, that link and recipe is helpful. I have used both the 1056 and US-05 before, and I was thinking about having the 05 on hand so that I could brew my recipe without the need for a starter. May try the 05 later this week for it...

try wy 1272. i use it in most of my hoppier american styles. love it, really brings out the hops, especially when you ferment below 65. it'll stay up in the wort for a bit longer than 1056/s-05, but it does floc well in three to four weeks nd produces a nice clear beer.

try wy 1272. i use it in most of my hoppier american styles. love it, really brings out the hops, especially when you ferment below 65. it'll stay up in the wort for a bit longer than 1056/s-05, but it does floc well in three to four weeks nd produces a nice clear beer.

Ditto.. 1272 is turning into one of my go to yeasts.

Funny, I just came to this forum and was about to post almost an identical thread. I'm especially curious about a good dry yeast substitute. I used US-05 in place of it last time, and thought maybe it was almost a little too clean fermenting.

I used 1272 for an American amber ale a couple of months ago and it came out brilliant. Though when it comes to dry yeast, it's hard not to like US-05.

Funny, I just came to this forum and was about to post almost an identical thread. I'm especially curious about a good dry yeast substitute. I used US-05 in place of it last time, and thought maybe it was almost a little too clean fermenting.

I don't know about a dry yeast substitute for Denny's, but a good dry yeast substitute for WY1272 is Danstar BRY-97. It is a very vigorous fermenter and floccs out nicely. I have used it on a couple of hop forward beers that have turned out great.

I don't know about a dry yeast substitute for Denny's, but a good dry yeast substitute for WY1272 is Danstar BRY-97. It is a very vigorous fermenter and floccs out nicely. I have used it on a couple of hop forward beers that have turned out great.

Interesting to hear this. I stopped following the thread on BRY-97 after a significant number of posters declared it too similar (or less desireable) than US-05.

So you think BRY-97 might be closer to American Ale II than Chico?

Truth time...I've never used a liquid culture. I'm always on the lookout for the next dry yeast to dethrone US-05. So far, I keep going back.

Interesting to hear this. I stopped following the thread on BRY-97 after a significant number of posters declared it too similar (or less desireable) than US-05.

So you think BRY-97 might be closer to American Ale II than Chico?

Truth time...I've never used a liquid culture. I'm always on the lookout for the next dry yeast to dethrone US-05. So far, I keep going back.

The so called "Chico" ale yeast is the same as Wyeast 1056 and US-05. WY1272 is a different strain that is way more vigorous than 1056.

You should give the liquid yeasts a try. Look up the process of washing yeast so you can use it for multiple generations. It just gets better after the first gen.

You should give the liquid yeasts a try.
36981148.jpg

Big fan of both the 1272 and 1450. To my knowledge there is no substitute for 1450 but the 1272 isn't a bad choice.

Back