Undesirable effect !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

The pale malt I use is moderately-modified , so I always do the protein rest .

I'm going to brew an oatmeal stout for the first time and will add some (5-10%) flaked oats among the ingredients .

Does the protein rest have any undesirable effect on oats , in other words on the body and silkiness which is caused by the oats ?!

Hector

I will help to prevent a stuck sparge

I don't think just 5-10% oats would cause any problem with sparging .

What makes me worried is the effect of the protein rest on the long protein chains of the oats .

Hector

The "silky" mouthfeel from oats is derived from the Beta-glucans, which are poly-glucose-based molecules, not proteins. As such a protein rest doesn't act on them.

There is however beta-glucanase which works to cleave these apart, and its reported operating range is 104-122 F, so below the protein rest temp, but in the same ball-park.

Are you limited to that particular base malt, or can you get another, more highly modified malt which wouldn't require the protein rest?

There is however beta-glucanase which works to cleave these apart, and its reported operating range is 104-122 F .

Are you limited to that particular base malt ?

Thanks a lot for that info about Beta-Glucans , but the temperature range of Beta-Glucanase is 95-113 F .

I always do the protein rest at about 122 F .

Yes , I'm limited to that particular base malt .

Hector

Back