2nd year cascades?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybrewer09

Reaction score
My cascades are in their second year of growth. They are 9-12' tall already and starting to produce side arms and small burrs.
Is this normal for second year plants.
Last year this is all the taller they got and I harvested 4oz of dried cones.

It's the cool spring we've had here in Illinois. My Chinooks and Cascades are doing better than normal for this time of year.

Generally speaking though, you'll get more & quicker growth the 2nd year than the first. It levels off at about year 4 and then you need to start pruning the rhizomes in early spring and thin em out.

Jeezus.... 9-12'... dang... mine are just now coming up. Down near springfield.

It's the cool spring we've had here in Illinois. My Chinooks and Cascades are doing better than normal for this time of year.

Generally speaking though, you'll get more & quicker growth the 2nd year than the first. It levels off at about year 4 and then you need to start pruning the rhizomes in early spring and thin em out.

How do I thin the rhizomes?
I've been cutting new shoots out every couple days now. So I now the crown is still growing outwards.
I have 5 lines with 4 bines on each.

Back