Think the bucket fermentor wasnt sealing correctly...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pratzie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
...So I remedied the situation the best I could.

Ok so in the interest of full disclosure, this isn't my set up. Belongs to a good friend just getting into home brewing in Sterling Michigan (trying to get him to join the forum already). Anyway he was worried the yeast wasnt working and said he could smell the beer but the airlock wasnt bubbling. Told him it sounded like te seal wasn't too good and then he sent me this with a short video of the airlock bubbling and said he fixed the problem!

Thought this would get some laughs

image-1147222856.jpg

Haha nice...

I had a similar problem with one of my buckets. I just put a bunch of bottles on top, and the weight on top was enough to close the gap and start airlock activity.

Before I tried that, I fermented about a dozen batches with the leak and no airlock bubbles, and they always came out fine.

Well, if it lets him sleep better at night, good for him. At least he didn't use that spray foam in a can to seal it all up.

Talk about a lot of effort solving a problem that does not exist. Many of us leave the lids loose until the most active fermentation is done.

Back