Cost of beer postings driving me crazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
I get tired when I see the trite 'reply' postings when anyone makes a comment that they are brewing beer 'to save money'. I totally understand where they are coming from and honestly not so sure that those who replied have put the numbers in a spreadsheet. I have done just that recently.

For many folks, they are trying to make a beer that seems like a value (cost affected and effective). If we build a beer with similar ABV, mouthfeel, and relative SRM to the commercial brews that they are coming to, I find that it is indeed much cheaper to brew your own.

The obvious factors of equipment cost are a consideration when evaluating the per unit cost, but even still- equipment can be inexpensive (turkey fryers that are in the garage, cheap fermenting buckets, and reused bottles.......) - you get the point.

With that stated, my objective of the post is to illustrate, as others have in past forums, that the per unit cost can be controlled and the comment that many newbies make in regards to low-cost beer, can be realized:

Example:
Purchase your grain in bulk and store them in dry storage containers that we all have in our garages!

5-gallon batch of summer ale- inexpensive/tasty beer
-$6.75: 9lbs of MO or 2-ROW in bulk/from COOP. or direct if you can get a vendor to sell to you, will get the cost of grain down to $.75 per lb to $1.00 with shipping depending on how many lbs your COOP. purchase).
-$2.00: 1lb of specialty (like C-40) -- and maybe you pay the normal LHBS pricing for it.
-$1.50 yeast : I use 1/2 packs of the dry S-05 and have GREAT fermentation results.
-$2.03 hops for 2.5 oz total (I buy in bulk 1lb units)
-$.50 of sanitizer for cleaning all items prior to fermentation
-$1.00 of propane to make the water roll.
-FREE BOTTLES from your neighbor that threw them out after his recent drunk-ass party.
-$1.00 for the corn sugar that you used for fermentation (bought in bulk)
-$1.00 for the caps that you used on your bottles.

TOTAL for about 53-beers? $13.75 or .25 per bottle. I am sure it can be MUCH cheaper than this, and much more expensive- but there are the real numbers from my latest batch of kick ass-summer ale.

You can absolutely save money by brewing. But in my case, I don't because:
1) I'm always buying new equipment, upgrading, etc
2) overpaying for ingredients because I don't buy in bulk (I'm just not at the point where I brew enough where that's economically feasible)
3) I actually buy MORE commercial beer than before I started brewing, because I'm always sampling different styles and breweries to learn what I like/don't like and enhance my palette (R&D, if you will)

Once I get to the point where I stop buying equipment, buy in bulk, and drink more homebrew than commercial, I probably will start saving money. In the mean time, I'm not too worried about it, because that's not why I got into the hobby. For me it's just like any other entertainment cost, like going to the movies or buying another book.

And I TOTALLY Agree with you too... in that I support my LHBS since they have done me right! I buy bulk from him bow, and pay about $1.25 per lb for MO. That is the price he set.

I like equipment as well, and have built two systems (e-brew and a simple propane BIAB rig).

I agree --that it is my hobby too-- which entitles me to budget a monthly expense of about $75-100 of beer-related stuffto make me happy (that is what it is all about right??).

2) overpaying for ingredients because I don't buy in bulk (I'm just not at the point where I brew enough where that's economically feasible)
3) I actually buy MORE commercial beer than before I started brewing, because I'm always sampling different styles and breweries to learn what I like/don't like and enhance my palette (R&D, if you will)

Once I get to the point where I stop buying equipment, buy in bulk, and drink more homebrew than commercial, I probably will start saving money. In the mean time, I'm not too worried about it, because that's not why I got into the hobby. For me it's just like any other entertainment cost, like going to the movies or buying another book.

I do 5gal PM brews, and even with shipping I can my really flavorful 50 bottle batches for $30-$35 (at MOST $.70 each), a 12 pack of a micro/craft brew would cost me nearly twice that (per bottle).

Some cheaper 5gal PM kits (AustinHB) can be had in the low mid $20's, my recently bottled Lemon Wheat Beer cost about $.55 per bottle and its is darn good.

So yea, if you are a craft brew drinker, over time you will pay for your hobby by brewing.

No one ever factors in the health benefits of Homebrew. Drinking living breathing beer in moderation has positive health effects.

It's going to take years to balance that nearly 2000$ of total equipment cost and brewing raw materials...

It all went crazy when I built my 3 kegs system with beer rack and pump.... :p

I get my beer for free. It's my homebrewing hobby that costs me a small fortune. But, isn't that the case with most hobbies?

I get my beer for free too and believe it or not I get the yeast to do all the work, cheapest labor in town. They work 24/7 until the jobs done and then go to sleep until there is more work to do.

Its making wort that is expensive.

Durrrrrrrr......

If you make enough beer then it becomes pretty cheap.

So do you make more beer (which actually costs more PERIOD) just to say that you are getting beer cheaper???(and you must be putting it somewhere you fat, alcoholic SLOB!)

SORRY.

I thought the OP was gonna rant on the assinine process of calculating costs (especially when, as I stated, the cost goes down sheerly by volume and averaging cost of equipment over more and more beer) on an effing HOBBY.

Instead, what do we see? Yet more posts on the process that would ONLY help a raging alcoholic save money:drunk:

Calculate away you effing nerds.

I am a pretty hefty nerd, but not so pathetic as to "spreadsheet" the cost of a hobby THAT ACTUALLY PRODUCES SOMETHING USEFUL.

How does a sailing enthusiast calculate the cost of each voyage?

If they actually want to have fun sailing, rather than save a few pennies on sailing trips, THEN THEY DON'T.

Nerd away Merril! Nerd away.

I think the trite responses are more in the form of an inside joke than an attack on anyone. Most people who are really into this hobby have spent a small fortune on kettles, buckets, O2 systems, carboys, kegerators, and ingredients. I know I have. I've dumped a few $60 batches of beer too.

That being said, you don't need all the fancy doo-dads to make beer. The process can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be. It's up to the brewer. There's probably a contingent of people who brew to save money, but there are probably a lot more that just love to build $hit. Cost isn't as much of an issue to them.

Oh, and Cheezy is right about sailing. I had a boat for 7 years and I will never attempt to go back and add up what I spent on that damn thing. My heart can't take the sticker shock. Happiest day of a boat owner's life is the day he sells his boat.

After stepping away from brewing ten years ago because it was so costly, I slowly realized why it was. My OCD with having THE BEST equipment I could find, my ADD with recipes and over analyzing amounts, and my overly generous behavior to invite friends over for drinking and mayhem.

For hundreds (or thousands) of years people made beer and booze with the most rudimentary equipment. So flash forward to today where I have three primary recipes that are rock solid, I use the most basic of equipment leaning heavily on things scavenged from a local thrift store. I am now producing more beer, better quality, and easily undercutting anything sold on the shelves.

Oh yeah, and most importantly I am handing out less (if ever), prompting my friends to see how easy it is to produce with minimal equipment. We now trade six pack for six pack.

There are so many hobbies that are much more expensive than brewing beer. With that in mind, I don't fret too much over my expanding inventory of things made of stainless steel.

Oh, and Cheezy is right about sailing. I had a boat for 7 years and I will never attempt to go back and add up what I spent on that damn thing. My heart can't take the sticker shock. Happiest day of a boat owner's life is the day he sells his boat.

Yeah, I was playing softball for the company getting exercise, comeraderie, fresh air, etc.

Thanks to "Overnerding" I made a spreadsheet and discovered that through the cost of shoes, a new glove, and gas, each swing of the bat cost me 37 cents!!!!!

EFF THAT!!!!! quit and burned my glove and shoes. Now I sit home and watch TV and swill beer.

Thanks Supernerds!

Man! overthinking is saving me TONS!

I'm with cheezy on this. Given the title of the thread and the first sentence, I was sure I was going to agree with the entire post and then once again someone puts up a spreadsheet to prove that homebrewing is a cheaper way to beer ("cheaper than what" is the question). It's rare that anyone that uses data uses all the data (but that's par when you use data to prove an argument anyway)..

It's never really a question about whether you can make beer cheaper than buying it. Even it it was the question, that's never the question homebrewers answer. What's the real answer?

Homebrewing is fun and a satisfying hobby. What was the question again? Nevermind.

Oh, and if the cost rationalization experiment is to satisfy SWMBO's curiosity, BrewHardware will generate a dubious receipt with all items showing a negative cost for you.

I'm with cheezy on this. Given the title of the thread and the first sentence, I was sure I was going to agree with the entire post and then once again someone puts up a spreadsheet to prove that homebrewing is a cheaper way to beer ("cheaper than what" is the question). It's rare that anyone that uses data uses all the data (but that's par when you use data to prove an argument anyway)..

It's never really a question about whether you can make beer cheaper than buying it. Even it it was the question, that's never the question homebrewers answer. What's the real answer?

Homebrewing is fun and a satisfying hobby. What was the question again? Nevermind.

Oh, and if the cost rationalization experiment is to satisfy SWMBO's curiosity, BrewHardware will generate a dubious receipt with all items showing a negative cost for you.

Wait a vendor is telling me I should not care what brewing costs!?!? I am shocked, shocked by this development. J/K Bobby_M, I've watched your YouTube videos and enjoy your stuff quite a bit, just had to bust your chops a little.

I get ya OP. I'm sick of the Plastic vs. Glass Fermenter debate.

I'm thinking about starting a thread touting the virtues of better bottles to end it once and for all....

My average grain bill costs near $30 so for me cost per bottle is somewhere near $.60. If you factor in equipment I am somewhere near $2 per bottle after 35 batches.

cheezydemon3 said:
Durrrrrrrr......

If you make enough beer then it becomes pretty cheap.

So do you make more beer (which actually costs more PERIOD) just to say that you are getting beer cheaper???(and you must be putting it somewhere you fat, alcoholic SLOB!)

SORRY.

I thought the OP was gonna rant on the assinine process of calculating costs (especially when, as I stated, the cost goes down sheerly by volume and averaging cost of equipment over more and more beer) on an effing HOBBY.

Instead, what do we see? Yet more posts on the process that would ONLY help a raging alcoholic save money:drunk:

Calculate away you effing nerds.

I am a pretty hefty nerd, but not so pathetic as to "spreadsheet" the cost of a hobby THAT ACTUALLY PRODUCES SOMETHING USEFUL.

How does a sailing enthusiast calculate the cost of each voyage?

If they actually want to have fun sailing, rather than save a few pennies on sailing trips, THEN THEY DON'T.

Nerd away Merril! Nerd away.

Wow, is somebody upset?

From what I understand I don't think Cheesy is ever really mad... More like perpetually ironic and sarcastically fatalistic... (except maybe if you shoot him in the knee...)

Just my kind of sense of humor. :p

Wait a vendor is telling me I should not care what brewing costs!?!? I am shocked, shocked by this development. J/K Bobby_M, I've watched your YouTube videos and enjoy your stuff quite a bit, just had to bust your chops a little.

You are missing the boat. If a batch cost $100 to brew, every time, then it is time to over-analyze.

Since it is between $20 and $40 (typically) don't overthink it. Shopping around will keep prices reasonable.

I think the trite responses are more in the form of an inside joke than an attack on anyone. Most people who are really into this hobby have spent a small fortune on kettles, buckets, O2 systems, carboys, kegerators, and ingredients. I know I have. I've dumped a few $60 batches of beer too.

That being said, you don't need all the fancy doo-dads to make beer. The process can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be. It's up to the brewer. There's probably a contingent of people who brew to save money, but there are probably a lot more that just love to build $hit. Cost isn't as much of an issue to them.

Off topic but Bull,

the best days of my life have been spent on water

hunter_la5 said:

+1 on item 1 above. Yep I'm a nerd so just move along to the next post if my spreadsheet analysis is likely to offend... Last couple weeks I've been doing just that. Biggest surprise came from adding up equipment costs...especially the way the little stuff added up...tubing, airlocks, sanitizer, auto. Siphon, pH strips blah blah blah. I'm at $1,300 with a 10 gal pot and a cooler mash tun that works ok for 5 gal batches. Fermenting in plastic buckets a bottling...no kegs. WArning...big nerdy word coming...I amortize my equipment over 30 batches...that choice could have its own thread so I'll not debate it in this post, but as I calculate it my equipment is adding $42 to each 5 gal batch I brew right now. If I don't add equipment that will come down but the one thing that seems constant is that I am going to continue to buy more equipment.

+0.5 on item 3 because I do buy more and more expensive commercial beer now as "research" I've offset this by buying a lot less wine. I wasn't drinking BMC beer before getting into homebrewing, it was usually wine in the $10-$20 per bottle range.

As for 2 I do buy in bulk but through my LHBS. Costs are ok but not wholesale...

Mine too. But, in someone else's boat that I wasn't paying for. :D
I saw the perfect bumper stick once..."This boat doesn't run on THANKS". I have owned 4 different boats. The 2 happiest days in a boat owners life? The day he buys the boat & the day he sells it. Just to stay on topic; I agree that it is a hobby to be enjoyed & not ruined by spreadsheets.

I totally refuse to add up the cost of my equipment. I have been a drag racer since I was 16 (long long ago...) and I learned to never ever add things like that up. So it cost me 30 bucks to brew 10 gals of Yoopers fizzy yellow beer tomorrow, plus a little propane.

Most homebrewers are to much of a gadget whore to save any real money. I like to pretend I didn't spend as much as I did on equipment. I like to pretend my wife doesn't know either. 😉

So your being driven crazy about people posting about how cheap/expensive their homebrew is... and you go and create a new thread about cheap your homebrew is....

Win.

Oh yea, never said boating was inexpensive,

I apologise to the op for getting way off topic, I promise not to do it again

Oh I started it.

We needed a little mutha f*ckin PERSPECTIVE up in this thread.;)

No apology.

Back