CAP - Cereal/Main Mash Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopRodGR

Reaction score
Hi All,

After much reading on the style over the last week, I've decided to make a Classic American Pilsner using 6-Row and Corn Grits, utilizing a cereal mash. However, I'm still trying to decide how to incorporate this into my mashing program.

If my understanding of cereal mashing is correct, a small amount of high enzymatic grain (like 6 Row) is added to the adjuncts, allowed to go through a saccharification rest to active Alpha Amylase enzymes, then boiled to gelatinize the starches in the adjuncts. Since the resulting starch then needs to be converted in the main mash, I'm thinking I have two general choices if I choose to utilize a protein rest (which I will).

1 - Protein Rest at 122-131, step to a 144-146 beta rest, then add boiled cereal mash to step to 158-162 to active alpha amylase. I would think this would yield a moderately fermentable wort, as the adjunct starches would only be converted by the Alpha Amylase enzymes.

2 - Protein Rest at 122-131, add boiled cereal mash to step to 144-146 for a beta amylase rest, then step to 158-162 for Alpha Amlyase rest. This seems like it would create a much more fermentable wort, in that all the starches would be available for conversion in the beta rest, which should produce more maltose than mash schedule #1 above.

I plan on using WLP833 which in my experience from brewing German lagers is very malty and won't over-attenuate even when mashing for high fermentability. This leads me to think schedule #2 would work better.

Mechanically speaking at least, am I thinking about this correctly, in regards to what the cereal mash is doing? For those who have employed a cereal mash in brewing a CAP, what type of mash schedule did you use?

While flaked maize or instant grits would certainly be easier, I'll draw a quote from Jeff Renner's excellent article on reviving the CAP style from Zymurgy in 2000, on why I am choosing to do a cereal mash. (Link: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1298/SOzym00-Pilsner.pdf)

Since I brew for fun, not simplicity, I like this traditional mash. It puts me in touch with American brewers of a hundred years ago. Besides, I think that boiling the cereal mash, especially using corn, produces a depth of flavor that is missing with flakes.

This is the same reason I've enjoyed doing a double decoction on many of my German lagers. There is some argument as to whether decoction really makes a difference with today's modern malts, but I have enjoyed the beers I've made with the technique and even though it makes for a longer, more complicated brew day, I tend to enjoy doing it.

This doesn't answer your question but why not just use instant grits?

Back