Cold Crash and Dry Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawaiibboy

Reaction score
Should I dry hop my planned 4-7days then cold crash for an additional 3-5days or should I include my dry hopping into my cold crash?

pannell77 said:
i usually dry hop for around 10 days so I would go with your first plan.

And you don't get a grassy flavor/aroma? I have heard of a serious grassy-ness to beer that is dry hoped for a period over 7days.

No, ten days then crash. I do it every time. I brew mostly ipa's and have experimented with massive dry hops with no grassy effects. 7 - 10 days is ideal to extract the hop oils.

basilchef said:
No, ten days then crash. I do it every time. I brew mostly ipa's and have experimented with massive dry hops with no grassy effects. 7 - 10 days is ideal to extract the hop oils.

Word. I was worried I'd lose my hoppy-ness aroma from the cold crash.

Ten days is my standard and I never get grassy flavors or aroma, and I almost always gelatin+cold crash. The only time I've experienced grassiness is when I dry-hopped a beer, then forgot about it--about 45 days.

Bazaar said:
Ten days is my standard and I never get grassy flavors or aroma, and I almost always gelatin+cold crash. The only time I've experienced grassiness is when I dry-hopped a beer, then forgot about it--about 45 days.

Lol! That's a crazy long time!

I usually dry hop for about a week. I also wondered what might happen if I could t take care of it within 7 days

It might not get "grassy", but I find that the freshest dryhopping aroma occurs when I dryhop for about 5 days. I've gone as short as 3 with very good results, though. My "sweet spot" is 5 days.

If I was cold crashing, I'd dryhop for 5 days and then cold crash. The reason is that dryhopping "works" faster at room temperatures and really slows down at cold temperatures.

Yooper said:
It might not get "grassy", but I find that the freshest dryhopping aroma occurs when I dryhop for about 5 days. I've gone as short as 3 with very good results, though. My "sweet spot" is 5 days.

If I was cold crashing, I'd dryhop for 5 days and then cold crash. The reason is that dryhopping "works" faster at room temperatures and really slows down at cold temperatures.

So After primary has stopped and I have a stable FG I'll dry hop for 5days and then cold crash in my fermentation chamber.

I'm hoping the beer I brew this weekend won't take too long to ferment so I can somewhat time the cold crashes of both batches at the same time. I figure my IIPA is gonna take some time to get down and steady from 1.097.

I use a fermentation chamber @67F because we get up into the 80's here in Hawaii, would you suggest dry hoping in my fermentation chamber or would leaving my secondary fermenter out of it be fine too?

Latest posts

Back